Pages

Friday, March 16, 2012

A Soft Day~And A Few Irish Sayings


I visited Ireland seventeen years ago. Lifetimes ago, now. It was then I first heard the term "a soft day." I was standing outside the loveliest old stucco house in Cleggan, a tiny fishing village at the jumping off point to Inishbofin Island. The ends of earth, really. The land's end. It was a crumbling ruin, in truth, the house. All overgrown, and with a streaky pink weathered exterior. I paused to snap a picture. The young owner emerged from the front looking a bit like a young Bob Dylan, and friendly as ever. He greeted us with " A soft day, isn't it? . . .  All the beautiful houses on the lane, and you want a picture of mine!" He explained that he was in the process of restoring his new purchase. I returned how beautiful I found it just as it was. He walked slowly with us down the rest of the lane along a stream, all lined with bleeding hearts and peat stacks for the stoves. A light drizzle was softly falling--what the Irish call a soft day.



I know I'm supposed to sport emerald green for St. Patrick's Day. But I have none of that. I only have the softest of greens to show (and only in tiny bits) while I share a few other Irish sayings.




of a useless fellow
He's fit to mind mice at a crossroads




to someone who committed some small fault
'Tis only a stepmother would blame you.’




of a tall, large woman
That's a fine doorful of a woman.



of a gossiper
She has a tongue that would clip a hedge.



of a coarse, ill-mannered person using poor language
What would you expect out of a pig but a grunt?




on trying to change a stubborn person's mind
You might as well be whistling jigs to a milestone.




of very bad music
Aw, that's the tune the old cow died of.





There are only three kinds of Irish men who can't understand women--young men, old men, and men of middle age.




And finally, Murphy's Law:

Nothing is as easy as it looks.
Everything takes longer than you expect.
And if anything can go wrong,
It will, at the worst possible moment.

But I'm wishing you the luck of the Irish anyway!
A Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!

Jacqueline



26 comments:

  1. Hi J,
    Love your fabulously colorful sayings! I have never heard any of them. A true way with words!
    Now I have a nice way to describe our Seattle drizzle :-)
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jacqueline, you had me gigglin up the river and back again.

    T'is true the sayins' a mite different, eh?

    Any color you showed at all you certainly have captured the magical world of Ireland.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great.st.pats.day.blog.for.tomorrow.
    have.a.great.day..
    my.computer.playing.up.spacebar.out.of.order..

    schlaunter..jaqueline.
    best.wishes.val.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    I was in Ireland a couple of years ago. Loved it! The people were so nice to us Yanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures and wonderful 'sayings'....

    Blessings,
    Betty @ Country Charm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the Irish sayings, never heard any of them before. Love your photos, their so pretty!
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun post and beautiful shelves. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd never heard the phrase "soft day." I love it! My greens are all soft this week, too... Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jacqueline: Great sayings! The Irish always had a way with words. By the way, I have my "autumn dishes" in the pattern of your little salt shaker. Mine says Royal Chippendale..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy St. Patricks day to you, Jacqueline! I love all your Irish quotes and your photos are something else too. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quite interesting sayings here! :-) The photos are just gorgeous. I hope you have a lovely St. Patty's Day!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard the term "soft day", but a lovely saying it is : ) Love your Irish quotes too. Great post and beautiful dishes as well ~

    Happy St. Patrick's day to you!

    Danielle xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jacqueline,

    I love these sayings and love your pictures, too. The Irish do have a colorful way of talking, don't they? I love listening to their lilting voices.

    Thank you for sharing these and Happy St. Paddy's Day to you.

    All the best,

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have the most lovely collection of dishes.
    It would be amazing to be able to make a trip to Ireland and see all the wonders that are there.

    all those sayings..........are WONDERFUl and funny

    ReplyDelete
  15. First time here, love the sayings. I keep a journal of words that make me laugh, inspire or educate me and I have copied all of your choices down, thank you. I am a new follower by email.
    As I looked through some of your postings, you own some beautiful, beautiful lace. Thanks for such wonderful eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post... I love the Irish sayings too! Your photos are always so lovely & they make me smile every time I come for a visit. Thank you for sharing your memories of Ireland.
    My Father's family is from the Antrim (?) area and Ireland is high on our Bucket List. Have a good weekend!
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A soft day! What a lovely expression. Happy St Patrick's Day to you also.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would've loved to have seen a picture of that old crumbling house with pinkish streaks that was at the end of the world--or the edge of it. And would love to hear you or an Irishman pronounce "Inishbofin"! Pictures of your hutch beauties were lovely. And enjoyed those sayings. I always thought Murphy's law also included "if you throw it out, you'll need it within the week." That's happened to me more than once!! Happy St. Patty's Day. Kay

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a delightful post!
    Can't wait til it drizzles out so I can use the new saying!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved the Irish sayings! Here is one my father used to tell us as children when what we were saying made no sense,
    "Aye, yer talkin like a man with a paper eye brow".
    Happy St. Paddy's day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want those little speckled eggs and the tea pot? half glass have metal. It's all pretty, but I'm coming for those.

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  23. So descriptive~ I can just picture the village and weathered pink cottage and your Irish sayings made me smile :) A soft day~ what a wonderful phrase! I love your vignettes and pieces...this is always a soft place for me to land...*dreamy sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jacqueline, I love all of the says you posted. Thank you for sharing them along with more beautiful photos from your home. Hugs and wishes for a beautiful day. P.S. I hope you will stop by and say hello and enter the latest giveaway too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the lovely pictures and the humorous Irish wisdom, Jacqueline. The eyelet shelf liner is so pretty! Here's one of my favorites Irish sayings: "Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip."

    ReplyDelete
  26. I laughed all the way through this post...and then had to go back and look at the lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!