Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Nostalgic Charm


The watercolor drawings of Edith Holden's book Nature Notes, published long after she had passsed on, have been described as having "the nostalgic charm of a vanished world." I suppose I am guilty of always pursuing that world. But how can one be nostalgic for a past one never experienced?



There are a lot of pretty things to be had in our own time. But charm is a quality beyond mere prettiness. Charm can't be mass produced. Sometimes it has to emerge from an object after a period of time has passed. And sometimes it's only a state of mind.





Charm has an idea of enchantment about it, as in something that takes us under it's spell, at least for a moment. It is the sober person's intoxicant.




Charm often requires looking for, or being creatively made. It can be practiced like the student in charm school (speaking of a vanished world), or cultivated like a garden. And it can be gathered up, piece by fragile piece, from the reaches of the past . . . .



















































Wishing you a weekend full of charm!

Jacqueline






23 comments:

  1. What lovely thoughts. And, the transferware is so pretty.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, lovely, lovely! Your posts are full of inspiration, Jacqueline. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice thoughts about "charm". Love the brown transferware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charming post! :)
    Love all that beautiful brown transferware. Gorgeous images as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i absolutely ADORE her work! i just LOVE the brown transferware...so pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at brown ironstone. I love it sooo much. I only have a few pieces and a couple repros, but I never stop loving the look. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, beautiful and thought-provoking words...love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Jacqueline.

    I can just sigh.

    You have such a way with words and pictures, it just brings me to a big giant SIGH.

    Thank you, very well done, m'lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your brown transferware is a perfect complement to the sepia ink. I love Edith Holden's Country Diary Of An Edwardian Lady.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jaqueline again just beautiful words and photo's. The brown transferware with white is stunning. I was just telling my daughter about your beautiful blog today, she is going to come over for a look
    x jeanetteann

    ReplyDelete
  11. oohhh, i love your photo's!
    I'm gonna follow you!
    greetings from the Netherlands
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your things are so very charming!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post as always, and showing your beautiful transferware.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, such a charming post, from a girl living a beautiful, charmed life! And I went to charm school with my best friend oh so long ago! ha ha. Don't think it stuck! Kay

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well I just happen to think your blog is charming! Love this post. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. Positively charming as usual! I love the transferware too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH I love the beautiful transferware...down to the fine crazing all over the bowl...lovely eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jacqueline,
    I always love it when friends come over to my house and say it's charming. I take that as such a compliment.
    What a pretty post.
    hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have charmed us indeed with such beautiful thoughts and pictures! Charm comes into my life in small pieces...as you said. But oh, so many of them. Thank you Lord...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jacqueline,

    You always have the most beautiful transferware!!! I quite enjoyed this post. :) Wishing you a lovely weekend.


    Hugs,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!