Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Beautiful Food~Vintage In The Kitchen





I can't seem to get my head out of the kitchen these days. But besides the obvious, the kitchen also holds some of my favorite vintage things. I enjoy the mix of nostalgic old essentials next to smart new kitchen ones. All with a layer of vintage linen underneath.




It's natural to be drawn to the heart of the home in the heart of the cold season. And having the scent of an old fashioned classic like French onion soup wafting in the air feels like the ultimate indulgence for so simple a dish.



I enjoy the still-life quality of kitchen goods that elevate the ordinary to art. An old enamel pitcher or ironstone jug just has a certain vintage beauty. But my inspiration today comes from the artful cookbook Seasons, by Donna Hay that I found at Anthropologie.







The chapters are divided by seasons. The photography is gorgeous, and uses a lot of vintage props, so the images look as yummy as the food. 




This, and the following two photos are from the book. The objects are wonderful and beautifully styled. The food is beautiful too.




Unfortunately, more than inducing me to cook, or to take pictures, the photos make me want to EAT!




 Donna Hay is an Australian, and her talent reminds me of that other Aussie foodie/photographer Katie Quinn Davies and her blog What Katie Ate found here.  But you'd better eat before you go take a look!



I used to keep garlic in this old enamel pot, but recently changed to a new one with a French country spirit by William Sonoma.



Here you get a glimpse of three hard working cabinets in my dining room and hall. If I had my way, all of my built-ins would be replaced with free-standing vintage pieces for storage.


Vintage textiles lend so much to a beautiful table. This old French cloth displays the owner's mark as shown in the final photo of this post.



Vintage in the kitchen can help make the plainest of food look beautiful. . . .
















 Now I have to find some crusty bread! What's cookin' for you lately? Hope it's cozy!


Jacqueline




Join me at
Farmhouse Friday
Popourri Friday
Home Sweet Home
Vintage Inspiration
Show & Tell

22 comments:

  1. It's true that we tend to gravitate to the kitchen at this time of year, isn't it? I love having a pot of soup or stew simmering on the stove on a winter day, and the warm, aromatic way it envelopes the kitchen. And it's so nice to enjoy it with wine and homemade bread throughout the week. Real farmhouse efficiency!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love having soup on a chilly day too! Yes a crusty bread would also be wonderful! Love the cookbook, what isn't wonderful from Anthro?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well dare I say this but, I mean butt..... better you can't get your head out of the kitchen these days than your rear! For if you bake and cook too much that could happen!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! I'm following your beautiful pictures!
    Susan @ homeroad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious photos!
    Winter food is the best isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacqueline, I'm craving some French onion soup now that I've read this post. Wonderful photos as always. It must be such a pleasure to live among these treasures. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your vintage linens have so much texture. Love the white on white -- makes your kitchen look so fresh.

    Visiting from The Charm of Home, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  8. fabulous photos and everything looks delicious .. I have that book too .. love it !!! it is 110F here in Aussie land at the moment,we are sweltering .. thank goodness for airconditioning ... thanks for sharing your beautiful photos .. hugz x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have so many beautiful vintage linens...love the one here with the little tassels. Lovely post ~ thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your vintage textiles. French onion soup is one of my favorites, I have yet this winter season, maybe this weekend…. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cabinet is so beautiful,I too prefer free standing vintage ones,to a built in.
    The white vintage cloth looks so good against your white ware.
    xx jeanetteann

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful and delicious!! I remember Mr CC making a fabulous french onion soup some years back! That cookbook at Anthropologie looks so yummy and inviting. I'll have to check it out, even though I have way too many cookbooks already (and don't use)! Lovely photos! Kay

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos and, yes, I must find some crusty bread, too.
    Everything looks so pretty.
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the linens ... really love the photos.

    Thanks for the peek ~
    Mary @ Sea Quilts

    ReplyDelete
  15. This kitchen is so inviting.... love it!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful and inspiring photos! French onion soup is something that I want to try making.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cupboards are gorgeous! I won't even try a new recipe unless it comes with a mouth watering picture.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jaqueline,
    First...your vintage cupboards in the background are gorgeous! Second, bread is my one main weakness in life. . . . and Third, I never thought of yellow onions as art...until now. Those onions with their "dingy" hue are exquisite as forms of art! Lovely post!
    Fondly,
    Pat
    P.S. My MoMa began her adult life in the late 30's as a Nurse and everything had to be pristine, bleached, starched white! Thus the explanation of the term "dingy"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jacqueline, I love that French cloth! I don't believe I've ever seen an edge quite like that. (Love French onion soup, too!) Another great post...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cupboards are wonderful...they give the space such personality...and the linens call to me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just found your blog and love it!! I am a new follower!!! Can't wait to read up on all your posts!! :)
    Maria
    www.rustyhinge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!