Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Snuggery




I get restless when we finally have to close the doors for half a year. With the exception of bathrooms, there are only two rooms of the house that don't have exterior doors. But it's universal to pay more attention to indoor arrangements when there's no where else to go. I'm certainly not taking coffee outside with the birds at six a.m. lately!



I find myself circling around like a dog or a cat to find a suitable spot to coze down in, and lately that place is the snuggery. The British term for what we might call a small living room or den describes my front room perfectly. It's not at all the set-apart little-used room that many modern homes have in their design. Every inch is taken up in fall and winter, and I'm always on the search for more.


That impulse is what drove me to clear off the smaller curiosites taking up visual space on top of cabinets and replace them with something simpler. Mark and Sally Bailey of Simple Home: Calm Spaces for Comfortable Living would call it "curating your home." If a man's home is his castle, is a woman's home her museum?



This arrangement may not seem so simple at first blush, but two hanging pictures were taken down from the wall, and a dozen or more very small collected items were wistfully retired for a time. Until I start plopping things down here again, my visual field seems clearer.



I'm also always fighting the urge to burrow like Toad or Badger in Wind in the Willows. The white covers on some of the furniture get taken off, and there's a lot of earthy color underneath. Dark colors close in further on a small space, but I can't seem to help myself!



Oh well, we're just in transition after all.



I keep an antique folding table nearby that pops up and down easily at two different heights, and stands flush against a wall. Nice for tea, fireside dinners, blogging, parties, etc., without committing to a coffee table (impossible anyway). Here it's covered with one of my favorite tablecoths.


Here's to a good snuggling in! Thanks for stopping by!
Ciao! for now!

Jacqueline

I'm linking up with Color Outside the Lines for Vignette Fridays
 French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sundays
The House in the Roses for Show Off Your Cottage Monday
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday


27 comments:

  1. Your home is so pretty...I love the whites you bring into your vignettes. You have a great eye for detail and arranging.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love more color all year around but especially when it's colder outside and we have to be in more.
    I'm in love with cozy.
    Hugs- Tete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I would have no problem at all snuggling up in your sweet "snuggery!" It's so pretty, warm and inviting. I love it!

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful "snuggery"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jacqueline,
    I have never heard of a snuggery before, but I love it. I love your snuggery! It looks so homey and inviting. Everything in there is exactly what I love and also collect. The alabaster lamp, the leopard print chair, the faux bamboo--all right up my ally. My snuggery is a small sunroom off the dining room and kitchen. I live in there more than any room in the house. I will call it my snuggery from now on. Happy Fall! xo Delores

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have made your snuggery very comfortable and I love the term you use for that living space. HUGS MARY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snuggery....great term....I have one and didn't even know it. Thank you for sharing your lovely snuggery! Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so homey and charming. Love the idea of a fold up antique table too. We hope to downsize soon and this is a great idea. Ps. Love the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most gorgeous and I love your word 'snuggery'. I may have to borrow that one! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post! And that looks like a snuggly snuggery. Although I tend to add decor in the fall and winter instead of pare it down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful. I so love the naturals you are using in your decor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving that snuggery!! Love that word too! The white looks beautiful in your room and it looks like a very nice spot to sit, have a cup of tea and relax! Thank you for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jacqueline, Your whole post oozes Snuggery (great word by the way!) love the soft lamp light! I am intrigued by all these exterior doors, I would love to step outside from wherever I was!!
    Enjoy your snuggery:-))
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jacqueline! I love that term... "snuggery"! That's exactly how your beautiful room looks... all snug and cozy for the winter! The vignette of antique books and the marble lamp is just gorgeous!!
    Happy weekend!
    xoxo,
    Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy snuggling in! I'm about to do the same. It's been on the cold side here for a change.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could easily snuggle into your beautiful room with a great book and be happy to stay there until spring!!!

    Very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the term snuggery! Your vignette is so delightful with your stacks of books & framed necklace~ Love the idea that a woman's home is her museum :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. My living room is much like your snuggery room in that it is small and holds a lot of stuff. But, I love that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a cozy space. I think we all go into nesting mode this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like a great place to enjoy a cup of tea or coffee and a good book! As I write this at 7:00 a.m., I think you might be right there in your snuggery with the Sunday paper!
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great descriptive word, Snuggery, & it truly fits the Mom Cave craze that's been going on in blogland for a week or so. Your home is beautiful.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Never heard the word snuggery.
    Your's looks nice.
    I add warm reds, more STUFF and lots of blankies during the wintertime. Even more area rugs...:))

    ReplyDelete
  23. The sunggery, love the term and the concept.

    It's wonderful to have you participating in Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful room! I love the term "snuggery". It seems to say it all. ;-)
    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  25. What beautiful photos! I love the mood of them, evening, dimly lit, very pretty, when I try evening pics, I never get the lighting right, but you did, and the results are wonderful. tami

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very beautiful. Love the snuggery. Love that tablecloth. It is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!