Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Turning the Tables Toward Fall



We don't have a formal dining space in our house. We eat in the same room off of the kitchen for every meal. But that doesn't mean that the table isn't dressed up a little more on occasion.




I  like a simple style for most meals and use a lot of white dishware for every day use. But I have been imagining a setting with these transferware dishes which have been stacked in here catching my eye for a while now.





I have pulled out a few things to herald the month of August and the end of summer. Tarnished silver seems like more of a fall thing to me. And I love monograms all year 'round. You can see the reflection of a single lit candle in the silverware on this table.





The dinner plates have a harvest scene pictured. You can also see a different wagon and barn theme on the soup bowls shown in the first photo above.




This pattern can also be found around online in blue.





I chose an old faded tablecloth by Ralph Lauren for this setting that I found some time ago at a thrift store that someone had given up just when it was reaching its pale glory.




It seems to have all the colors of August to me.





I chose a lettered napkin that often makes its appearance on our table this time of  year.






I am still wanting to keep things light despite the use of a bunch of dark silver and china as a theme. I always have pieces needing a polish within arms reach, so it is only a matter of grabbing a few things already at hand.




In place of the silver loving cups I saw on a recent magazine cover, I am using a handled creamer and sugar bowl instead. I collect the monogrammed ones, but in general silverplate creamers are easy and cheap to find. (Really cheap, actually.)




They make a nice party favor or "placecard," especially filled with something special to mark an occasion.





And of course you could always serve one of the courses from them, or have them hold a pretty napkin to dress up the table.




I often use taller or raised objects as a centerpiece on a tablescape. This one incorporates an antique ironstone cake stand.




A vintage wooden spoon and woven towel adds to the ambience.









A little silver teapot and matching china sugar bowl finishes things off.





I thought I would use some tiny old inherited souvenir spoons as a nod to summer travel. Do you have a few of these to put to use? They can be so interesting on a table.






Are you starting to think ahead a little too?

I hope you are also still enjoying the last licks of summer!


Jacqueline













21 comments:

  1. Love the red with the tarnished silver. It really does say Fall. Summer is done in our house...we are embracing Autumn as if it couldn't get here fast enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Jaqueline I still absorb the smell of the salt air and summer colors ......as I know its a long winter ahead here on cape cod ..BUT Iam a fall gal born at the end of Nov ....love the smell of snow coming and the first snow fall and long for the short days of a muffins in the oven and hot meals on a candle lite table .....but for now Im not ready to let go ....thanks for you posts I love them all and am a big reader of yours .....hugs and enjoy Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't find another way to contact you. I am wondering if I might have your permission to use 3 or 4 pictures of your lovely linens to do a post on linens and featuring your blog? All will be linked to your blog and given the credit deserved. R/sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our summer here in San Francisco seems as its been the beginning of Fall all summer. Barely sunshine and no really hot days. But ten minutes away from me the sun shines and it is warmer. Funny but true. I love your table setting the browns and lovely tarnished silver is perfect. The the old Ralph Lauren table cloth looks devine with its faded roses. I'm ready for Fall and even Winter for some reason. Lovely post as always. Thank you with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacqueline, I'm enjoying some much appreciated cooler weather and nice soaking rains. What a treat Mother Nature has given us in the month of August. Your details are exquisite, but they always are. I'm crushing over your silver creamers and sugars with their classic looks and pretty monograms. I must remember to add some when I find them. I love the idea of using them as party favors.
    Happy end of summer to you. Fall will be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacqueline,
    What a lovely table. the dishes are so warm and inviting. I love the tablecloth. You always put together the most beautiful pieces. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will be thinking Fall after the next few days of 100 degree weather they are predicting. Rockaway Beach, I wonder if that is the one in Oregon? Hummmm? Also, my chairs in my dining room are very much like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these dishes! Rockaway Beach is in Oregon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always interesting that everyday, even special everyday things can be so beautiful when featured in fine photography. A little bit of lace here, add a shadow there...and wha-la...you have a work of art. Beautiful post -really a reminder to appreciate what we have and what we live with everyday, thanks, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it all . . . the chairs . . . the saltshakers . . . the dishes . . . the linens . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jacqueline, between the dishes and the silver pieces have to wipe the drool from my faced. STUNNING

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

  12. NO ! I am not thinking fall. I want to still enjoy summer and all my pretty hydrangeas etc.
    I do love your and my transferware dishes and your silver creamers and little loving cups which I have never found one.
    I know you have fum setting your tables with all your goodies and I like seeing them also.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never thought to use the dozen or so old souvenir spoons that have always resided in my silver chest. Time to get them out, thanks to your inspiration. Beautiful table, as always. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jacqueline, I love your fall table! The tarnished silver is perfect with the Harvest dinnerware and beautiful cloth. I'm so ready to say goodbye to summer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous Rockaway Beach spoon! I would use that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your tablescape with the brown transferware and tarnished silver. It looks like a setting for a cool fall day. I would love for you to share your beautiful tablescape post over at the Snickerdoodle party that I co-host. It is live now and goes through Tuesday midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the harvest scene printed on the plates ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do love that china! It's perfect on that tablecloth which is subtle enough the patterns complement, not fight! I am looking forward to converting over to fall, even though I never want this summer to end!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jacqueline...Your Autumn inspired tablescape looks gorgeous. The colour of the transferware is perfect with the silverware. l've never thought of using souvenir spoons on the table but it's a fantastic idea, l'll have to have a scrounge around and see if l can find some:-)Your RL tablecloth was a great find and goes so well with everything else. Hope you're having a lovely, lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jacqueline,
    Amazing tablescape for early Autumnal decor, dear friend!
    I love the Ralph Lauren tablecloth!
    Your transfer ware is absolutely gorgeous!
    This Autumn, I featuring Traditional Autumn hues, but in more subdued shades!
    Have a wonderful weekend ahead!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have those dishes in blue. I like them in brown more!! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!