Pages

Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Time




Hello Friends! Welcome back! It has been just over a year since I last shared something here on the blog. It doesn't seem that it has been so long to me.





So many of you have been kind enough to message me to let me know that you missed me posting here. You have my deep thanks for your appreciation and encouragement. Starting up again feels much like it did in the very beginning, but my world and the online community have both vastly changed since those days many years ago. 






I have continued doing the easier thing by posting on Facebook and Instagram during the interim where some of you have also joined me, but those forums are much less intimate and much more limited in scope and creativity. There is a different and more challenging energy to blogging, and probably now, a much smaller audience. But "For everything there is a season...", and I have always tried to embrace art and life as it comes. After a long time I feel like I might have something to say again. We'll see.






It has been a joyous spring. I seem to have not noticed before just how fresh first green is, and what brilliance it has before it gets all ragged and weather-beaten as the season progresses. I'm usually more focused on enjoying the warmth again.

 I think I pruned my viburnum too much after it bloomed last year. The bush is a bit straggly, but the blooms had gotten smaller than I like and cutting it back improved on that. I didn't bring in a bouquet at all last year, so it is very nice to have a vase on the table to enjoy this time.






I suppose it was this bush that inspired me to finally take a few pictures to share. I am not much of a desert gardener, and so its blooms feel like a small miracle to me. And I like the contrast of the white metal garden furniture against the green.





  






I'm also so happy about the garden gate ivy that recovered after it suffered a loss last year. It died off in big patches from lack of watering. I wasn't sure it would come back. It must be just the hardiest thing! I'm so glad to have another chance! Nature is not always so forgiving in our climate here in the southwest.






The Larkspur is taking off in its vintage cement pot.  That is Russian Sage in the back that is growing in the wrong spot. (Not enough sun.)







A group of some of my favorite vintage watering cans with Virginia Creeper climbing the adobe walls as a backdrop. The vine is a volunteer like most of what thrives back here. (My watering can collection has no trouble growing though!) (That's a bit of Chamisa peeking through on the right.)






This is my morning walk along the irrigation canal next to the open farm fields where I walk several times a week. The ditch (or acequia, as it is locally known) gives the wonderful illusion of naturally flowing water. It's another pleasing sign of spring when it is opened and fills from the Rio Grande River not too far off. Albuquerque is not a very green place unless you are situated in the valley as we are.








One evening I was shocked and thrilled  to find this flooded field being irrigated. It looks like a Michigan lake! Sections of the fields are banked up at the edges to hold the water. I had already traveled around most of the dry open space only to encounter this vision in one quarter of the field as the sun was going down. An expanse of water is such a gift around here.







I also want to share this photo my DIL took with her phone and sent me from Wisconsin during the recent sightings of the Northern Lights farther south than usual. The lights were even seen in some parts of New Mexico (just not by me). She hadn't noticed that the big dipper was plainly visible in the night sky in her beautiful shot.









So that's me after so long a time. I have spent a good deal of it taking in and gathering up: reading, resting, thinking, seeing, watching, visiting, feeling, being. Taking "time for every matter under the heaven," as the verse goes. Time for stars in a midnight sky, for flowing water, new green, and for the inspiration that a scraggly little bush can bring to a ready mind.

Yours,
Jacqueline








P.S. These are so good!





 

5 comments:

  1. Well, I have MISSED you and your observations on all of your surroundings! I lived vicariously through your tea parties with your granddaughters and wished I could have experienced something so sweet, at that perfect age. Love hearing about New Mexico...so different from anywhere else! I'll catch up with you on Instagram but will always be checking your blog as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely and what a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. Jacqueline you are truly correct that blogging has changed. The ads/buying barrage of posts has been tiring, and I cleaned MOST of the annoying blogs with all that....even if they were my favorite. Pleasant---human---contact is what we should all seek more of, and I for one am very happy you are back. Smiles and hugs, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy to see a post from you! Everything is looking beautiful at your place and I know how much work that takes. I have to get my spray paints out to freshen up a few of my outdoor chairs today. Love that you are able to blog again! Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jacqueline -- here you are, back again (see my other comment!) I am so glad to see this and hope that blogging brings you joy as you return to the land of blog! That DOES look like a Michigan lake! It's all so beautiful and best of all, you're back. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!