Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Finding Comfort in Collections





I just made the smallest shift in the arrangement on top of my dining room display shelf. For we compulsive arrangers it can be the best kind of therapy. But in truth, there is no stopping it anyway! We can't keep our hands off of things. And if we aren't arranging things physically, we are doing it in our heads.




Some people listen to music to soothe themselves. The shapes and patterns of my china and linens, and the rythm of my collections does it for me.





And entering the light-filled spaces of my rooms first thing in the morning just starts the day right! 





This little McCoy pottery hand tray is new to the rotation. Her reason for being is simply to look pretty while holding things; pins, earrings, coins. My mother had these little dishes all over the place full of the most unlikely stray objects that never seemed to find a proper place of their own. It drove me to distraction! Today she holds stray tallow berries.





I am also a creature of habit and tend to use the same favorite tablecloths over and over, so I went hunting for something different that I haven't put to use in a while. I can't seem to part with these gorgeous white on white embroidery cloths that are less practical for daily use. But just having them in a stack to admire for a change gives me a lift too.





A little lace peeking out can soften a day. . . .






And I will soon have a few white garden roses to add to this still-life!






This is the cloth I finally chose for the table. So perfect for spring with the lily pads and dragonflies. What a joy it must have been to make!






 I always layer smaller pieces over larger and plainer ones. I use these cotton drop cloths for millions of things.





I have admired this English ironstone creamer and sugar set by Meakin for years until I found a set of my own last year. Such a pretty little design.






Having a bit of Stafforshire here and there adds to the story.






The little berry creamer hasn't a maker's mark, but is probably English as well.






Finally, this sweet little tophy cup adds a little contrast to the group. It reads: "Best Hound, Cape County Fair Dog Show, 1925." Found for cheap at some long forgotton thrift store ages ago.







So that's the lineup for today!

How's your week going?

I hope you are surrounding yourself with a few happy things. . . .

So glad you stopped by!

'Til next time,

Jacqueline








12 comments:

  1. Stunning linens!!!Gorgeous vignettes!Thanks for sharing,blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the linens and the pitchers. I have been wanting to do so much, but the weather is preventing me from doing it. Working out in the yard and doing some painting. Winter just does not want to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love when you post some of your fantastic linens. Soon as the gardens are all planted, I will go into whites mode for the summer and pull out some great pieces of white. So pretty, and thanks for sharing with us! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swoon every time I see your lovely linens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You take such beautiful photos-and have such a wonderful talent for creating the perfect gathering of vintage objects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the pick-me-up! I really needed it. Your photos are always so charming and everything looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jacqueline,
    Your collections are beautiful. Love all your linens. How beautiful the embroidered floral linens could you make pillow out of them? They are gorgeous. Have a great week. Always love when you are in my email with a new post.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our taste is so much alike! I collect everything you collect, it's so fun to see your beautiful things and how you use and display them. I just recently hung some of my vintage white christening gowns and white skirts, bloomers, and such up in our guest bedroom. I did notice you had some tea leaf ironstone as well on instagram. I just received a great collection for my birthday my husband found on facebook market place for me. I need to find a place for it, but thats the fun of bringing in more treasures. I love to nest about as you do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacqueline,
    As always. . .exquisite linen collection!
    I, too, find myself rearranging in my mind's eye,
    long before I make the physically changes.
    Softly playing Classical Piano Selections are so~o~o soothing for me.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it all, jacqueline. It's fresh and so very beautiful. The silver cup, the transferware, beautiful. And the embroidery on your cloth is exquisite. I love the detail of it. A treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just lovely, and so serene and peaceful looking.

    Just staring at these pics brings harmony to one's soul.

    Stay home, stay safe, stay healthy.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely restful post Jacqueline~ I enjoy them so much! Seeing highlights of your gorgeous vintage pieces; just goes right from my eyes to my heart! <3 TFS karen o

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!