Pages

Friday, May 20, 2016

Country Blues On The Table




Cottage, country, or farmhouse style. The lines are often blurred around our place depending on what you emphasize. But I like too many different things to stick with only one look!




There are some classics that span all tastes, however, and I think that blue transferware china in is that category. 




I don't use a lot of blue generally, so when I was casting around for accents to use with this new set of dishes it became a little experimental. I have bits and pieces of a lot of things, so some of them became part of the arrangement. I love the look of a mix anyway.




Mixed up china used to bother my dear old mother-in-law when we first met. She wanted something more uniform and traditional when she sat at a table and suggested that I use a whole set of something. But it never really suited me.




I have just a couple of these teacups without their saucers, for instance. They have such a cheery pattern for spring.




I have had a set of a white rooster and hen for a long time now, but last week a new clucky girl joined the company and seems to fit right in for a centerpiece. Ideally there would be flowers, and a little more height in the center, but some days just call for the old adage, "start where you are, use what you have, and do what you can."











A bit of ruffle for a napkin finishes things off. The tablecloth is a rustic painter's drop cloth that fits my farmhouse mood.








The wavy base of the twin tureens suggested the ruffled napkins to me. And an old French cutting board sits beneath.





It's time for another weekend! Oh my!

But I hope it's a lovely one for you.

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with me!

Jacqueline










19 comments:

  1. I love the way you mix and match, Jacqueline...you know just how to make things beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful mixing and matching he with you.
    Would love to sit and brunch at your spring table.

    See you soon and all the beauty you create.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacqueline, another beautiful table setting---so inviting! I especially love the frilly, ruffly napkin under the plate! So charming!! I'm not really a blue person either--except for aqua or turquoise. I just painted my front door turquoise!! You were so lucky to have found such a wonderful set of dishes! Funny about your mother in law! Most of my friends have very lovely, very traditional homes. I'm sure they think I'm kooky with my mix of romantic, country, French, cottage, and beachy, too! Ah well. I love my things and I'm the one living here. Your photography, as always, is gorgeous!!!
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning post, magazine worth! I love your blue and White dishes, soo pretty, my fav.
    Mixing and matching is a thing I love to do with dishes, specially with the blues.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the years you have taught me how to be free with mixing and matching my vintage china. My stash of table linens ....
    I just luv everything that you post! Your style... your photos.
    Happy weekend.
    Luv Gee

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! And I love to use a drop cloth as a runner on our dining room table too! :) Enjoy the weekend! Xo, ~julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post! I love the way you mix and match your china .. you have created such a charming and inviting table setting. Can just imagine sitting down to a delicious brunch with some close friends .. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning, as always! Love your mix!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty, pretty. So charming I love the soft blue mixed with the white...and the tureens are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely and Calming table setting! I do love your beautiful blue pieces!! It's always a pleasure to stop by! Blessings, Cindy xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. That blue and white sings spring to me! Very pretty and delicate. It would have been a perfect complement to our tea yesterday! Four star -- as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charming, lovely, delightful!
    I really enjoyed this post Jacqueline~
    And I appreciated so much what you said "start where you are, use what you have, and do what you can." [My mother used to say "do what
    you can with what you've got."]
    I want you to know I an jealous of the white chickens and rooster!
    I have been collecting roosters and chickens for many years; although
    my tastes have changed some and I am much more selective now,
    I would not hesitate at yours! : )
    I am fairly new to the "I love white" society! LOL, but am truly hooked~ *sigh* Have a great week, Karen O



    ReplyDelete
  13. Blue and white will always be a favorite with me, and I Love the way you mixed the patterns. Of course it works! Always so much beauty and inspiration when I visit...thank you!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely setting as all the other things you do you always amaze me. You have a unique touch and sense and feel for the things you do.. I too at one time I thought things had to match but in time I learned it didn't have too. Beautiful table. Happy Wednesday with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty....I love the way you mix and match!!!!!
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  16. The blue transfer-ware is so pretty. And there's my favorite cupboard. :) Deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jacqueline,
    Your taste is exquisite, love everything about your posts.
    Thanks for the happiness! Wishing it back to you,
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a beautiful pattern of transferware Jacqueline! I always like blue & white no matter the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your soft decorating style Jacqueline. It's all so pretty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!