Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

August Days







I have always found great romance in a fully dressed bed outdoors. Our summer showers are too unpredictable to have anything left on the lawn for long, but I am only trying out a few ideas anyway.



The days are still hot, of course, and very sunny. The dappled light kept changing as I experimented with different ideas under the trees.









My inspiration is this vintage ticking mattress I recently found. It is clean and still in pretty good condition, and so not too scary. It will make for a good display piece to showcase linens.




I can't direct you to a source, but I think there are still artisans who can stitch up a nice example like this one with the rolled edges. It's very good for atmosphere and nostalgia, which August seems to offer in ample quantity.










I love the charm of old linens displayed on ticking. Especially lace. Something about the rustic and refined shown together makes for an interesting look.





This is the antique lace coverlet that I gave you a small peek at in an earlier post. Some of these gorgeous pieces need to be shown in their full aspect to be appreciated.




I have lots more experimenting to do, but one of the things I love to see is old textiles and tablecloths used for bedding. I have a small collection of these cross-stitched cloths with taupe colored thread for the design. They are my favorite cover for my dining room table, and this is my most recent acquisition. I love it layered over the end of the bed for something pretty, but I also wouldn't hesitate to rely on it for a light cover on a hot August night.




But who doesn't think of fall at least fleetingly when the calendar turns to the last full month of summer? I thought this vintage painted metal bed frame the perfect foil for crispy linens when the weather turns. It made me actually look forward to decorating for a new season ahead.








The vintage cloth would look luscious folded over a puffy comforter at the foot of the bed, as is.
And that's a second lace tablecloth lying there ready to be tested out (as you can see a little further down).




This would make the perfect bed for a woodsy cabin somewhere.














"The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses on its turning. The weeks that come before are only a climb from balmy spring, and those that follow a drop to the chill of autumn, but the first week of August is motionless. and hot. It is curiously silent, too, with blank white dawns and glaring noons, and sunsets smeared with too much color." --Natalie Babbit, "Tuck Everlasting"























A heavy old ironstone jug and basin stands ready.




And an elegant vintage garden table serves as nightstand.









The only thing we need now is a cricket lullaby. . . .





















Happy August days ahead for you as the season "pauses on its turning"!

Jacqueline





Join me at




28 comments:

  1. It is all so pretty ~ the mattress was a great find.

    I agree great way to show off your pretty linens & lace.

    Enjoy your August!
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. A photo shoot like that takes tremendous energy -- your efforts are appreciated. The images are beautiful. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely linens . . . beautiful crockery . . . a well dressed bed . . . perfection for a summer's eve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lace coverlet is gorgeous, just love it. How cooling is all the white in the heat of the day of August. The bed, I remember a neighbor had one like that. Beautiful post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty indeed. A beautiful resting spot.

    Happy August to you too.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jackie,
    Your photos are so beautiful....just love the beautiful laces, fabrics and the ticking is so sweet...love the bed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my golly jeepers. These pieces are singing to me!

    Jacqueline, will you be placing them in your shop? Would you consider shipping if I were to inquire about pricing and purchasing?

    And I ADORE that table, too but shipping would be way too much. But the coverlet, the pillow cases and the cross-stiched tablecloth is right up my alley.

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Michele! The linens are all from my own collection, and not for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of this is solovely, I especially love the decals on the bed frame.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love everything! What a perfect spot to unwind and relax on a warm summer day.

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  11. How beautiful this bed would be in my greenhouse. I love the linens too, especially the pillow cases. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So old fashioned, love the mountain showers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh so dreamy...I just loved seeing some more of your collection of linen & lace. What a great find that ticking covered mattress was, it's just what I'm looking for. I have a vintage French childs cot & I've been searching for a mattress just like that , lucky you. Fantastic photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bed and bedding is so beautiful.Such a lovely place to nap or read a book or just look at the sky. Jo

    ReplyDelete

  15. You display things so beautiful
    Makes me want to change my bedding on my round iron bed

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jacqueline, it's so much fun to come along with you as you descend into Fall with charm and grace as always. All your linens look just beautiful against the ticking. Ahh, dream on!..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. August does seem to have a romantic air to the fleeting summer doesn't it? I love the old bed and ticking mattress. I know there are two at 'the house' (our son's and my former mother-in-law's) but one is probably in bad shape. And the cots. I'd love to have a closed (winterized) porch with a cot in it - to decorate of course. Pretty linens, pillows, quilts. They evoke a quiet rest on a hot summer's afternoon. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So beautiful and nostalgic! Reminds me of sleeping out on my grandmother's back porch with its floor to ceiling screens and the trees beyond, rustling in the wind. Her bedding wasn't quite so lovely as yours though :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE the garden table with all its details! What a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You make the most beautiful serene settings. This is like a dream

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jacqueline,
    Exquisite!!!
    I can already hear the "Cricket Lullaby"!!!
    Sweet dreams!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  22. So gorgeous...I'm ready for a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a wonderful old ticking mattress in such good shape. I love the idea of using the vintage tablecloth as a coverlet. All very romantic!
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE the ruffled lace cover over the ticking, Jacqueline!! It makes my heart sing.
    I have the other lace tablecloth. It's hanging on the side of my farm cupboard...I've used it everywhere in the house!
    Your post is just perfect for August. Love the quotes, your writings, and all of your images.
    Enjoy the weekend in your little slice of heaven.
    Debbie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your August days are quite wonderful. Isn't ticking lovely? So perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now Jacqueline that is summer romance at it's finest! A bed out side in the dappled shade. Soooo pretty!! Thank you for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ah, but that we could trade some of the heavy, hot days of August and some of the frigid, frosty days of February in exchange for more days of the color and crispness of Autumn.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!