Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Back Home

 
 
 
 
 
It's time to turn another page on the calender. And I'm back home finding familiar territory again. For me that means some heavy nesting. Resting up. Doing laundry. Polishing up my things.
 
 
 
 
 
I was looking for something specific for the table and came across a couple of things I had set aside until I had time to pay attention to them. A set of monogrammed homespun linen napkins, and an antique French cloth that needed soaking. (More about soaking here.) (And here.) (More linen love here.) (And here.) (And here.)
 
 
 
 
I always have piles of fresh linens that haven't yet been put away. I just like seeing them around the place. When I freshened up this small linen tablecloth I decided not to iron it. I left my PB ruffled napkins the same way last time, and wanted to see how I liked them together. The rumpled look is feeling so homey to me.
 
 
 
 
 
 
My antique berry crate serves to center it all. There is no sense to how much I love the old thing. The tin base is perfectly rusted, and the wood a weathered grey. By all appearances it's on its last legs.
 
 
 
 
 
In fact there are many things here that way. I love the old cloth precisely because of the darns, patches, and wear on it. The linens had a tea stained look when I acquired them which I find beautiful, but for the table I also need everything looking fresh, so I gave them a long soak overnight. I'm so pleased with the result!
 
 
 




 

 
 
 
 
Isn't this work amazing?
 
 
 
 
 
I'm giddy about how wonderful the napkins came out. They were such a pleasure to iron, and I can't wait to start using them. As yellowed as they were, they appear to have been hardly used. If ever.
 
 
 






 
 
 
 
 
 
It's such a full time of year. The end of summer has such a fatness to it. So much is ripening, and finally flowering. The finishing up of summer activities overlaps with the beginning of those of fall. Everything is setting seed, and filling out as much as it will. There hardly seems room to contain it all.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I do like the giving way of the bright summer whites to the softer hues. The color of wheat, and old pages. I made some paper flowers for the centerpiece from an old onionskin encyclopedia volume. I can't remember the last time I actually made anything, simple as it is. A tutorial is here.








 

 

 


 
 
 
 
 
 Except for my cake stand, everything else is vintage too. Glassware, dinner plates, ironstone, and silver. Nothing feels more cozy to me!
 
 
 

 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 






 


 
It's been such a pleasure running around like crazy.
And it's such a pleasure coming back home again. . . .
Happy Friday!
Happy September!
 
I hope you all have a lovely long weekend ahead!
 
Jacqueline
 

 
 
Join me at
 
 
 

37 comments:

  1. Your pictures are so serene and elegant, I lose myself just scrolling down! You capture every detail and nuance of your pretty linens and silver. Love the paper flowers!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaahhhh...so beautiful, the perfect post! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty things! Especially love those napkins and the paper flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it all!Vintage dishes,linens your berry crate.I too have an appreciation for old and tattered.I think it tells a story of how much something was loved.
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the rumpled look too. Beautiful photos. When you soaked your linens, did you use bleach?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacqueline,
    After visiting your blog, I come away refreshed. I adore the tranquil mood of your post. Mesmerizing! Welcome home, dear friend!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi J!
    Well welcome home my wandering friend!
    I always enjoy my vists here, peaceful and cozy.
    Lovin that curvy fork, so fanciful and paper flowers, I am always mesmerized by their utter charm!
    Happy Nesting!
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your monogrammed linens are beautiful! By the way, I love that book you have in your first photo. The handwritten nature notes and illustrations are amazing. I have the same book and love it.
    Blessings,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's no place like home is there. I love your photos and all the soft layers of white. The paper flowers are beautiful. Enjoy the long weekend. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww: Jacqueline's back. A sign of relief! Loving those unironed linens too. I suppose you already told once how you made those flowers, well..guess I missed that. I can't wait to see your decorated harvest table..Glad you had a good vacation..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back! Your tablescape is lovely as usual. The rumpled flowers you made are perfect with your vintage treasures. I have a feeling you'll be making more of them. Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the look of the linens "as is" and the details on the napkinks are bautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what pretty pictures...There is no place like home!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Exquisite post! The linens alone would make my heart flutter, but add in the glassware, ironstone, and silver and oh, my! You should make things more often. I adore your paper flowers. Lovely, absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd really like to know more about your "soak"....would you mind sharing your formula?

    All is beautiful here. The linens and paper flowers, especially!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just beautiful, so delicate and a wonderful mix of soft and hard. Your photos are gorgeous! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing post. Love all your vintage items. So charming!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your paper flowers...how did you make them? have a nice weekend/Maria

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your linens ... not to mention the beautiful manner in which you photograph them! I have recently acquired some old pieces ... terribly stained, but with great sentimental value. I am very hesitant to try and launder them for fear they will fall apart and I will have lost cherished memories. Can you please let me know some of your secrets for bringing them back to life? Thanks so much for all of your wonderful blogs.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful images, as always.

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Olá , passei pela net encontrei o seu blog e o achei muito bom, li algumas coisas folhe-ei algumas postagens, gostei do que li e desde já quero dar-lhe os parabéns, e espero que continue se esforçando para sempre fazer o seu melhor, quando encontro bons blogs sempre fico mais um pouco meu nome é: António Batalha. Como sou um homem de Deus deixo-lhe a minha bênção. E que haja muita felicidade e saude em sua vida e em toda a sua casa.
    PS. Se desejar seguir o meu blog,Peregrino E Servo, fique á vontade, eu vou retribuir.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome home and thanks for another lovely series of images.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Are you planning on letting us know how to make the flowers, or is that a secret? lol I would love to know.
    *Smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  24. I so looove your vignettes and your photos! They're beautiful. I would love to see some of them in the room or area you have them in...just to see the context of them in the room...if that makes any sense:) Some of mine look like I'm trying to open a store! joannhohlAyahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. woow........that is a great post...just LOVE the fork :)
    and do not miss......

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    it is FUN :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your pictures are amazing! Seriously.
    I could stay over here all day!

    Have a wonderful and blessed weekend!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  27. A lovely post. I especially love the jux of the old crate against linens and the silver fork. Beautiful. Hope you have a restful holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the way you love your berry crate, and the way you talk about all of it. It's like hearing a sweet story when i read your descriptive words of these sweet linens, and napkins, and pitchers and plates, and the fullness of this time of year.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like to look at it 'back home and grounded'. In a good way. Your post is inspiring my thoughts of fall.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love Love Love! Beautiful post!
    Amanda
    www.notsoperfectmess.blogspot.co.uk
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such pretty photos today!! I love all the different shades and textures of white. Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this post. It is so restful and calming. I adore vintage linens and sterling flatware. Your silver pattern is lovely, that's what drew me over.
    I can remember as a little girl, and I am 72, watching my mom, grandmama and aunt making crepe paper flowers. They were so lovely and colorful. We always had them about. Alas, someone discovered you could use plastic to make flowers.
    Thanks for sharing and the memories,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a lovely, comfy table, Jacqueline, with all those shades of ivory and a little amber. I love those paper flowers, and the softness of the "unironed" cloths. So pretty. It's so nice coming back home after being away, isn't it? I think our nesting intincts are never stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The book page flowers are so pretty with this table! Love the last shot. great look!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your beautiful post is featured today at Potpourri Friday at 2805!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Jacqueline: I so enjoyed your post today. I love all the details--the old berry box, the vintage napkins, the paper flowers, even the Trader Joe's bottle--who knew they had such a pretty bottle?? I am pinning this page for later reference!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!