Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Whimsical Linens


Beautiful linens can be simple and practical, lacy and romantic, or charming and whimsical. But if you are a collector of vintage linens, you love all three. I enjoy finding textiles and handmade things that are a little outside the ordinary. Indeed the very one-of-a-kind nature of heirloom linen is one of the joys of collecting.


I showed a dainty beaded doily in an earlier post, and here is another with a little more heft. I doubt I'll ever be able to pass one up again. The technique seems to require stringing the beads onto the ball of thread before starting the project.







Re-purposed linen falls into the whimsy category too. This eyelet lace was given to me by a friend when she didn't want it anymore. Cut from some larger pieces of bedding or clothing in a former life, she used it as shelf edging. I'll probably use it that way too.










One of my bears models a vintage cotton doll dress I found recently in a simple and sweet design. I would collect as many of these as I would ever find.












A wide and long crochet runner drapes the back of my sun room sofa. But I could use it in a hundred different ways.




Another unbleached linen piece with a deep lace edge is folded over a pillow. It may have been a mantel cloth. It would make a terrific valance for the right window. One of my favorite whimsies is the Scottie lace on the lower pillow. It was likely made to lay over the arms or back of chairs. 








I like merely draping my few precious pieces of vintage floral printed cotton cloth like this one. I've never had the heart to cut any of these to make something from them. Forget that I no longer sew anything!







Thanks for looking over a bit of my collection!
Ciao! for now!

Jacqueline


I'm sharing at


  





23 comments:

  1. I love that sweet bear! These handmade linens are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've often thought that you have some of the prettiest linens I've ever seen! And you have so many practical ways to use them. I love it! Love that cute little bear, too!

    Have a great week, Jacqueline!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacqueline, I love all of your lace and linens. The dog pillow is my fav. That lace shelf edging could be attached to pillow cases, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those will make gorgeous shelf edging! I'm always on the hunt for old linens. So beautiful.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your beautiful linens as usual. I have that book too.
    I also loved your vintage Easter table-such beautiful spring colors.
    Take care,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are beautiful linens. So pretty draping them over something darker underneath. My sister gave me the same Linen book that you have displayed. It is such a lovely treasure of a book.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many pretty pieces, what a great collection you have! I also love to use vintage pieces on the back of my chairs and sofas...my Granny did and I loved it, so I've always used them this way in my home too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooohh, I just love all your linens, and how you've used them. I'm always in love with these figural crocheted pieces! xoxo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Old linens are a weakness of mine. Absolutely love them. These are gorgeous...beautifully photographed too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jacqueline,
    You know I love your preety laces! Wow on the prestrung beads, what a project that would be to keep the beads moving and knot free!! I am crazy for the deep crochet piece laid on the white pillow, finds like that make my day!!
    Your bears dress is delightful, I never see doll cloths like that!!
    Hope you had a great weekend!
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pieces! I have never seen beads crocheted into a doily before. Have a great week. Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are beautiful pieces...you display them in such pretty ways.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A feast for the eyes, Jacqueline. Each one is gorgeous and very special.
    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely beautiful. Love the bear!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely post, such calming colours and pretty pieces. Hug the bear for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Olá Jacqueline, acompanho seu blog há muito tempo e fico encantada com seus posts; a beleza da simplicidade me fascina. Sou brasileira e nós temos um campo maravilhoso e com coisas lindas também. Se puder de uma passadinha em meu blog, ficarei muito honrada.
    Um abraço. Rejane Menezes.
    http://natalparasonhar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. We share so much in common we even read the same books... yeap, I have that same book... ;) Lovely... thanks for participating in SOYCM and bringing us here!

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful collection of linens and lace... i like the Scottie dog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a 2die4 collection of vintage linens you have! I'm in heaven here at your beautiful blog! Love how you have displayed them all so perfectly. And that eyelet trim is gorgeous! Sweet teddy, too!

    Happy White Wednesday!

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loving that doggie pillow! Lace and old linens are my fave!! Thanks for the share:)
    xxx Liz

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jacqueline, oh yes, love it all, very pretty,
    Celeste, thevictoriantailor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jacqueline! Oh, what beautiful pieces of olden laces and linens. The crocheted doggy is my favorite! have a wonderful day.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so wonderful. Love lace and Tricia Foley! She has contributed much to the appreciation of things that are lovely,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!