Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2010

NESTING

It's surprising how my collections have grown organically around me twig by twig. It's not like one day I woke up and said to myself, "I think I'll start collecting cows."
I just woke up one day and said, "Where's a good place to stash all these nests that I've been picking up everywhere?"
Fact is, I like looking at my collections, but I don't like them getting in my way. Years ago I read that my preference-- lots of objects and visual stimulation-- was referred to as "fat" decorating. Figures.
I like serene and spare spaces, but my brain seems to need lots of gorgeous stuff to gaze on too. Charles Faudree says too much is never enough, but he probably has someone to sweep his floor.So I find that I'm a grouper and a piler and a stacker and a chronic arranger on top of things mostly high up away from too young and curious hands.
Besides nests, I find that I have collected these low white 50's pottery planter thingys that nobody else seems to want at the shop. They are so practical and pretty for stowing everything from stray buttons to remote controls (remotes control?).
Great for mantlescapes too.

I happen to have a narrow mantle in this room so they're perfect!
I don't imagine at this late stage that I'm going to choose something to collect that hasn't already chosen ME.
And since the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, I'll probably just keep gathering things (I remember doing this excessively with scissors and pencils in first grade), and trying to discover reasonable places to stow them, and things practical to do with them, or to stuff into them.Even if that stuff is still there long after Christmas, for instance (I didn't notice this until after...).
As long as there's still room to walk in AND sit down I guess I'm okay.

"...Whatever special nests we make--leaves and moss like the marmots and birds, or tents or piled stone--we all dwell in a house of one room--the world with the firmament for its roof."
John Muir, from John of the Mountains.

Ciao for now! And thanks for stopping by!
Jacqueline

I hope you'll also stop in at My Romantic Home for more Show and Tell Friday!

AND... A Few of My Favorite Things for more Favorite Things Friday!

16 comments:

  1. I love your beautiful gathered things. What a lovely room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is so perfect and just down right beautiful. I love nests, they stand for a new beginning. It's all lovely and I would never tire of seeing your displays, Char

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh dear, i can sooo identify with the whole "fat decorating" thing, though i think i would prefer a different term, lol. beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post sounds so much like home! My mess means I'm busy collecting and creating...which means I am happy:)...Yours is displayed so prettily!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely collections and vignettes~ thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job putting everything together. love all the whites in your home. Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply lovely! I love whites and creams! Happy "Show~n~Tell" Friday!

    Back Porch Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks great, but i really loved how you described yourself, as a grouper and an arranger. i think there are so many of us out there. i refer to myself as a tweaker. things look good, for now, but i tweak and try out and move, etc.

    thanks so much for stopping by the cape on the corner, and for "getting" my planter redo. i knew i wouldn't be the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love all your seashells and nests...they make your room very comfy - I love that!

    Have a great weekend.

    Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea
    "Celebrating the Coastal Lifestyle"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks so nice. Come work on my house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your stacking and piling looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your room is beautiful. I love how you use the soft color of creamy white and how you group your collections together. I would agree that many times collections choose us...I wouldn't ever want to change that!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all your things! I love all my things!
    When I'm browsing where ever things just jump out to me and say "take me home"....I also have many nests and I love them dearly!It's the dusting of my things that I don't particularly love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your nests are beautiful, but I adore your WHITES! Your vignettes are just wonderful!
    Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jacqueline,
    You are a fantastic vignette designer:-) I I love clutter, like you my eyes want lots of points of intrest. I am definately a gatherer... I love the thrill of the hunt! Love that iron dish?
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this is fabulous!! I would love for you to visit My blog. I am also hosting a Giveaway from CSN for $40 dollars !!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!