Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Corridors of Time

I had a little girl once. She turns thirty this year.

In another lifetime I made all her clothes.

This little blouse is from a Laura Ashley pattern from the 80's.

These days it hangs on a hook in the nursery alongside similar vintage things of unknown pedigree. Happily there are still little girls to tuck inside of THESE pin-tucks.

I also made this white mohair sweater.

My own long hairs were sometimes woven up into the knitting I produced in those days so long ago.


I enjoyed freshening it up for its moment of fame. It had been neglected after another small person wore it during the last cold season.

It used to be a brilliant white and has mellowed into its creamy patina.


Classics don't change much even after thirty years.


But still, the next generation will likely only tell stories of a little pin-tucked blouse--

And her cable knit companion . . .

Thanks so much for stopping by! Ciao! for now!

Jacqueline

Please pop into Cindy's place for more Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home!

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful sweater! I don't knit but I so admire those who do!

    I have an award I would like to share with you at this link; http://dandelionanddaisy2.blogspot.com/2010/06/new-award-and-find-friend-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. My oldest turned 29, and even though I only had boys, I made many of their clothes.
    Thanks for stirring memories from another place and time. I know my hair is in their baby blankets, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely. Such sweet little dresses made all the more special because they were stitched by YOU! Love that little sweater, too! They look beautiful along with your creamware pitcher. Sigh......

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those blouses and sweater are so pretty and you made them, wow. My daughter turns 30 this year, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacqueline, that little blouse and sweater are just precious. Such detail and femininity...and it's so nice that you still have them. I have one turning 30 this year too.
    Love seeing your handiwork.
    xo,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my daughter is 9 years old and these just made me melt over that sweet baby I once had. Your work is beautiful and how sweet that these are still in your family. Ahh - you made me all tender hearted. I've got to give my girl a hug now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful sweater and blouse! My mom used to sew all kinds of clothes for me and my sibs when we were young. She made the cutest things, but we don't have any of them anymore (except my First Communion dress, which she made.) How wonderful you still have those treasured items! I love those old white ironstone pitchers too--I've been trying for ages to get my hands on one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet post and I love all your photos. All the clasics mixed with flowers and little girl's clothes.....perfect!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful baby-clothes! My mom made my son clothes,but now he is 9 and she makes sweaters and dresses for other people, you could see her works at visteamibebe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice post! I used to do a lot of sewing and knitting when my children were small too.

    Have a good weekend,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post. Tugs at the old heart strings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so talented and your blog is so lovely....I really enjoy visiting!
    Machelle

    ReplyDelete
  13. So poignant, love your special treasures!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jacqueline~ How sweet that you kept these! Handmade with love from a mama to her baby girl! Mine will be 30 in Feb. How life flies by!!! Love, Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!