Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2019

Country Brocante Style, and a Peek in the Nursery








Hello friends! No sooner did I hit "publish" on my last post than I got the latest copy of Victoria Magazine in the mail with blue china on the cover! Thanks to all of you for sharing your love of blue with me!




Lately I have been tucking away in the nursery to get a little quiet time away from things. There is a good view of the lawn and fresh air from an open window on calm days, and for the time being I have taken down the ironing board and replaced it with a folding table. 



I think a guest room like this is sometimes called a "spare" room. But it is an essential room for me in our little three bedroom house. I have mostly used it as a busy room, but with the makeshift desk and chair, I find I am spending more leisure time here. 




One of my favorite things in here is a sweet print of a self portrait by Elisabeth Vigee LeBrun, a prominent French portrait painter of the late eighteenth century. If you Google her you may realize that you are already familiar with her paintings.




I didn't know this myself until after I brought the portrait home from a flea market and researched it. But Madame Le Brun has a remarkable history as an early female artist that I think might be an inspiration for all my young granddaughters!




There are still lots of other female influences found in here. . . .










You may recognize these pages by Edith Holden too. But it is from her lesser known book Nature Notes which was discovered AFTER the more prominent volume by her: The Country Diary of An Edwardian Lady. Nature Notes was actually created the year before Country Diary, though it was only discovered and published a decade or so later. Both were received to wild, and lasting, acclaim. 








Wonderful to peruse year round!










I also laid out this scrumptious old quilt that is only for show. It greatly increases the "happy" quotient in this room for me.















And maybe this beautiful new book also caught your eye! I am showing just a few random pages to show you below. But there are LOTS of wonderful photos included. You may like it too! Country Brocante Style, by Lucy Haywood.



















Well, I hope you enjoyed a little down time with me today! Here we are at the weekend already again. I hope it is wonderful for you!





Thanks so much for popping by!

Wishing you lovely days ahead!

Jacqueline







12 comments:

  1. Such a lovely little space Jacqueline! 💕 I’d gladly be your guest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely peaceful and sweet at the same time---Love the quilt and all your vintage touches. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful book. Love the vintage quilt on your guest room bed. So pretty.
    Happy Friday. Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete

  4. Such cozy, lovely and romantic little space. To spend tranquil times, serene and peaceful.
    I too love the pretty portrait of the French artist.
    The book is adorable too.
    Happy weekend.
    Fabby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely post, Jacqueline! I can see why you are spending time in this lovely, relaxing room! That quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it that you pop into your guest room for a bit of a peaceful sanctuary because I do the same thing. I don't have the view, yet I find it the most peaceful room in my house, quiet and lovely. Your quilt is beautiful and I loved the photos you shared from Edith Holden and the stunning portrait. It's perfect in your room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful 'share' with us today Jacqueline! Lovely pillows and bedding; gowns and framed vintage pictures~ Thanks for opening up some wonderful pages in the books and magazine, and letting us 'peek in'! Have a great week-end~ karen o

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quilt is lovely! I am going to check out that book on Amazon. It looks like something I would cherish for years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a charming little room! Every detail is so sweet xx Love the books and pretty quilt xx - Happy Easter! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your cozy room. Now I want to run into my extra bedroom and make it pretty. This inspires me. Love both books and now I want them also.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post and as I was reading I couldn't stop noticing the pretty pillow on the bed. Both books are lovely and loving the photo of the bench on the page you shared

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Jacqueline,
    I love your blog and have been a follower for years. I saw an exquisite exhibit of the works of Elizabeth Louise Vigee LeBrun in Ottawa, Ontario in September 2017. I spent four hours completely lost in the gallery amidst her beautiful works of art. Her life story is fascinating. She was an independent woman centuries ago!! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and treasures. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!