Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Cheery Finds From Summer



Hello Friends! I thought I would share a little of golden August before it's all gone! I think this is the only month that I can appreciate a little stronger color inside for awhile. In fact I think the month of August demands it. Maybe I just need cheering up at the thought of summer's passing, but sunflowers on the table seem to do the trick!




We have been getting to the local grower's market lately too where I got this bundle of garlic. We use it of course, but I love the way it looks as well.




I bring out one of my favorite tablecloths this time of year. It's an older season cloth from Williams Sonoma that I found irresistible when it went on super sale ages ago. I like the graphics and the lettering, but the design never shows enough for me, so I have it folded like a runner for better effect.








Makes me feel like I am in an old French country house. (But then I have an enormous imagination...)




You may know that I like to gather up other old things to give me that feeling too.




One of my recent thrills was to come across this old set of "french ivory" flatware. I have wanted some for ages! I am showing it off here on top of a couple of old dishtowels that my late MIL gave me right out of her kitchen drawer on one of the last times that I visited her. She told me they were her grandmother's and that she didn't know why she had saved them, because she felt they were nothing special. They really are quite ordinary with a few spots and stains that one might expect from many years of even careful use. A great many years, as my MIL was in her nineties when she herself passed. Yellow was one of her colors. And the towels are now so soft, and of course now remind me of her.







Another old sugar bowl from the flea market. I wonder if I will ever stop collecting these? Not that I have that many yet!













Another of my cheap thrills was finding this little English mustard pot. Just adds a little something to the scene.



And maybe you spied the little set of Staffordshire dogs that came my way a couple of weeks ago. These don't turn up much here, especially the little ones, and so I was ridiculously excited to find them at a good price.








I am over stocked at home since moving from a big shop to a little one, but that doesn't upset me so very much! Haha!




I keep finding great deals like these Mason Cash bowls that you can never have too many of. The old ones are of so much better quality!








So this is me at home at the end of summer, trying to keep my spirits up with things that I love, and a splash of cheery color! And it's working!

















I hope for you the many bounties of the season too!

Best wishes,

Jacqueline



Join me at

11 comments:

  1. Your blog is always charming and inspiring...Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so lovely, Jacqueline! Your new flatware is such a great find! And I was so inspired by your sunflowers, I left in the middle of reading your post, and put mine in a galvanized flower bucket lol. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was trying to pick my favorite, but I love it all. Oh the flatware, I am looking for something like that. Love the mustard jars, "tablerunner", dish towels with yellow, wonderful bowls that I need, and sunflowers too. Off this next week to a sale where I hope to find something like these things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jacqueline~
    Thanks for the table tour : ) and the wonderful pics of your latest finds. I've never seen anything quite like the ivory handled flatware; Beautiful!
    I for one always seem to have a hard time letting go and saying goodbye to Summer~ so the idea of some cheery sunflowers is such a bright idea!
    What a wonderful tablecloth, and the dishtowel treasures from your MIL. I have some treasured linens from my MIL too~
    I really appreciate your posts Jacqueline - they always bring peaceful
    thoughtful moments <3 Thanks for sharing! karen o

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely posy Jacqueline...as always! 💛🌻💛

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the beautiful table linens. The small bee adds a romantic touch. Adoring you flatware find. The handles are pretty. Sunflowers are happy flowers.

    Happy Sunday

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let's see if my computer will once again allow me to comment!
    Love this post, as I do all your posts! I rarely look at blogs anymore, except yours. Love the yellow on the napkins! I HAVE to have color! In Portland area, we've had bad smoke for weeks. Then it cleared somewhat, only to have the usual low gray cloud cover return. I have not had near enough summer! So I, too, am loving sunflowers right now. They are sooo cheerful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jacqueline. So happy to see your post pop up in my email. How fun to add the sunflowers. I just did that to a watering can I have on my island along with the chippiness of the white watering can and my garden white chippy cherub next to that. The sunflowers just pop off the white. Your pictures always make me smile. Love the yellow and white napkins and the memories you have connected to them. So sweet.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Serious eye candy. That flatware is breathtaking! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. this post gave me both great joy and great calm. I loved the tablecloth -- smart to use it to best design advantage! And I can't resist a galvanized bucket! The story of the towels is wonderful -- aren't you glad you still have them? And of course that beautiful flatware. Everything here is beautiful and special and I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it real ivory on the handles or just names that? Lovely table setting.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!