Pages

Friday, December 13, 2013

Old Fashioned Linens



If ever there is a moment for appreciating your beautiful linens, this is it. And I'm not just talking about one or two special meals during the season either. I'm keeping a refreshment table dressed and ready this year, both because I find it indulgent and beautiful, and because every gathering from here on out becomes a celebration!




The small farm table in our sitting room is the stage this year. I love it when people visit and think they have caught you in the middle of getting ready for a party, and then realize that the party is for them! Just the merest pre-planning makes this super simple. And so festive! 





I want something welcoming and not too fussy as a foundation, and showing a little leg. (All the way to the floor feels too formal and takes up too much visual space. Shorter feels skimpy)




A nice thick old woven cloth with a beautiful pattern underneath.




A bit of handmade lace trim and a red monogram on a beautiful antique huck cotton towel on top. Scrumptious! Who needs food?! Haha!





I thought I wanted a small fresh tree, but for now a flambouyant spray of tall greens is the centerpiece. A small stack of the linens that I have chosen for change ups when needed look wonderful standing by and can be part of the scene. I'm only in the process of getting set up. There's plenty of room for a big tray in the meantime.




I love these beautiful old sturdy table coverings for holiday entertaining. They lend well to an old-fashioned feeling for Christmas.









Now it's time to fill the fridge and pantry with little savories, and favorite nibbles and drinks, and we're ready for anything! 









Well, at least the linens are ready!
 Big weekend ahead.
 I hope you are enjoying your beautiful things!

Jacqueline





29 comments:

  1. Love it! Just wonderful. Love the linens and using and enjoying them is what it's all about.
    ~Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, THIS is just great! Another of your beautiful ideas that I'm going to "borrow" (read: steal). We are hosting my husband's ninth grade confirmation students for dinner on Wednesday. Can't wait to set up a little table like this for THEM! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is lovely and I think - not that I am an expert - sort of a "Swedish" feeling to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Like you said, who needs food? :)
    Lucky folks that visit your home this Christmas!!!
    Hugs,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jacqueline,
    I am, indeed! And, I, too, love to have a table at the ready (mine is usually a "tea station" in the kitchen, or near the front door on a chest of drawers (champagne and glasses) - as well as a few little wrapped treasures tucked away in a gift drawer, just in case! It is always a thrill to see your wonderful collection of linens. You're the best!
    Hugs,
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the old linens and need to find me more. Your little table looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. B E A U T I F U L!!!

    You are the reason that I am slowly gathering more and more beautiful linens. I love to see how you display them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photographs and settings are just so beautiful!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to shop at a tiny antique store where there were always "new" old linens in stock. And I never came out without a few of them hugged to my chest in the pretty paper the shop lady wrapped them in. Still have them. Yours are certainly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi J,
    At first I was like, no don't cover the table, cause that farm table is D I V I N E! But then I knew your linens were fabulous and there would be time later for a bare table :-) and Fab they are, the greens make it all perfect... delicious!
    Have a Fun Weekend:-)
    Hugs,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your linens are lovely! I have some vintage ones waiting to be washed for Xmas eve when we'll host my parents.

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Jacqueline. I bet you are the ultimate entertainer. Can I come to one of your parties?
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have the most gorgeous vintage linens in your cupboards, Jacqueline. This "party" table is a great idea. I agree, it's nice to have something set up waiting for whoever might stop by. I do the same on our sideboard. It also gives me an excuse to keep out the Christmas plates and mugs rather than hide them in the cabinets.
    Happy Holidays…….Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your idea of a refreshment table Jacqueline! What a great way to be able to use some of your beautiful linens. I adore that little table of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it, totally do - how I would love to visit you with the fresh smelling greens and beautiful textures of old linens and laces.

    Jacqueline, you do it right, my dear.

    Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely idea Jacqueline. I so love those thick lacy whites too and with the green ferns,it's magical. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your vintage linens are so pretty.
    Love the refreshment table. You
    re so clever!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your vintage linens are so pretty.
    Love the refreshment table. You
    re so clever!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  19. The white looks so crisp and fresh and with the greens, so festive! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jacqueline - the old linens look phenomenal, so elegant and the greenery is such a great touch! Keep up the great work,

    M+D Old New House

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jacqueline,
    Oh, dear friend. . .so~o~o glad I visited here early this morning!
    Getting ready to set a new Tablescape and you have filled me with inspiration, once again!!!
    I love the sap bucket filled with greens!!!
    Have a wonderful week ahead!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  22. How wonderful to see your beautiful linens. I also just love fresh linens all year long. It is so fun to pick out just the right ones when company comes or just for everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a perfect time of year to use those gorgeous linens! With the beautiful greenery and candlelight, I can't think of a prettier scene. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have been following your blog..just beautiful
    and love your linens
    i had a shop called Ruffles & Roses on cape cod but had to close but I still sell
    Enjoying your blog

    sincerely Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love those old linens! Your table looks simple but elegant.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  26. The greens look spectacular against your lovely linens! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Jacqueline!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely! Happy Hollidays! Greetings Anna

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the welcoming look of your table, Jacqueline, and how festive and ready for cozy company it is. I hope you enjoy your Christmas and New Year celebrations and have a lovely time with family and friends who visit you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!