Pages

Saturday, August 12, 2017

The Latest Luscious Linens








Time for school again, and so I have my guest room "nursery" mostly to myself once more. It's sort of my think tank where I price shop stuff and manage my linens.




This room is long overdue for an update. But there will always be linens strewn around in here as well. 



I just finished soaking a small tub of linens and pressing them while they were damp. It leaves a crisp smooth finish similar to starching (which I never do). These two small towels I found on my recent travels for just a couple of dollars each. I am partial to all white linens with a crochet trim.





Look closely at the one on top for a butterfly worked in cross-stitch in an ivory thread.




I am crazy about this sort of detail.





This towel also has two different finishes on each end. 











I had mostly success with the soaking. Stains either went away or were much fainter after an overnight soak in Oxyclean and detergent, and a wash on the gentle or hand wash cycle. I never buy linens with terrible stains unless I plan to salvage parts. 






I was thrilled to find a pair of pillowcases with hand knit lace which is quite different from crochet. It is much more delicate, and hard to find in good condition. 




I found this pair of pillowcases with the deep lace trim in a local fleamarket.
You see them just as I found them with an ivory cast which will be lost at the first wash. They are in like-new condition having been carefully kept for at least fifty to seventy years. 




That's some of the latest for me! I haven't worked with linens for awhile. And this is just a small pile. But there are few greater pleasures in the world.





I hope you are getting in a few of your own pleasures as summer is winding down and we are transitioning to other things.












Happy Days!

Jacqueline





Join me at





12 comments:

  1. Yummy KNITTED lace ---- my favorite of the laces. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love visiting and seeing your lovely vintage linens...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the most beautiful collection of vintage linens and I envy you. I used to be in a shop with a lady who have a huge linen collection that she picked up on her travels to France, Italy, Germany and Belgium. I was lucky enough to buy a few pieces from her. You remind me of her.

    hugs,
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luscious linens. I can think of no better title for every photo in this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your linens are so pretty! I am always thrilled to find lace edged linens and can never resist buying them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your new pretties in your sweet little guest room. I always like to think about who created such intricate and lovely work and what they were made for. You found some wonderful treasures. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful linens, Jacqueline! And they look so lovely in that sweet room. I agree, there is nothing more pleasurable than caring for old linens... like you I have so many and I love the time it takes to care for them and iron the lace edges. And despite their age and delicacy, I do use them. Your images are always so beautiful and I so enjoy the stories you tell here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!