Pages

Friday, July 28, 2017

The Gardens at White Flower Farm




The up side of our intense trek cross country was that it allowed me to stop at antiques markets along the way to my heart's content. At times I was giddy at the wonderful shops I found. But this day our destination was a bit farther down the road. 





At the pottery, Guy Wolff had directed us to this fabulous local nursery at Litchfield, CT that you may already be familiar with from their website and catalog. Here's a link to the website. White Flower Farm has everything you can imagine, but Guy wanted us to see a remarkable tree found on the property.




The little white garden cottage is where the purchases are made, as the wares are spread over several acres of rolling hills. The tree is up the hill on the way to an amazing flower garden display.



The Weeping European Beech tree, or 'Pendula,' is a local attraction. It's a living shaded tent that would capture the fancy of any child the way it captured mine. Have you ever seen a tree like this?




There is an entry opened up on the side that invites you in for a look.





It is spacious and amazingly cool underneath. 




The bare trunk towers above your head.









Another opening, and you  emerge into bright daylight again. . . . Amazing!











Here is a shot with a car to give you scale.




The Lloyd border is only one of the garden displays. I wish I could tell you the name of each flower shown. I know the most common, and a few others. But every variety was plainly marked.




The English garden design is named for the renown English gardener Christopher Lloyd. You get the feeling that you are standing in the middle of a beautiful painting.




 Sometimes colorways are grouped together. but a large variety of blooms make for a gorgeous mix. Makes me want to be a gardener!
































































































Nice to have you along for the stroll!

More happy summer days ahead!

Jacqueline






13 comments:

  1. What a fun place, love that tree!
    xo Kathleen|Our Hopeful Home

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jacqueline what a beautiful place. Love the trees and oh all the beautiful beds of wild flowers. So pretty.
    Love the chippy little table too. Your trip was such a good one. Thanks for letting us come along with you too.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love visiting places like this - supporting local business and living INSPIRED!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly a beautiful sight with the weeping tree and all the flowers around. Thanks for sharing their website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have ordered from their catalog before. What work it must be keeping it all looking like that. The tree is fabulous; it's like something out of a book. You seem to have hit all the heights on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'm very familiar with the catalogue but boy -- this is spectacular. That tree -- I wish I could plant it up at the cottage to block the view of the neighbors! And the flowers are glorious! Did you come home with a trunk full of plants?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love he beech tree! I love the gardens. I have many of those same plants in mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That garden is truly amazing, but YES that tree is a thing of delight. A must see for anyone with a child's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a very impressive beech. I love their roots. Actually I love the smoothness of the bark, and the funny flowers like fluffy balls, and the tiny white hairs on the fresh new leaves. Did you know you can make a sort of liqueur from new young beech leaves? I think you stuff a jar full of leaves and add vodka and maybe sugar (sure to be recipes on line) and leave it to steep. Then you get a bright green drink. A friend has a beech hedge and he tried this out. Said it was the nastiest drink he ever tried! And a terrible waste of vodka.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! What a place, just beautiful...
    Love that tree :)
    Warm hug from Titti

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for posting your wonderful journey, Jacqueline. White Flower Farm is so beautiful and Not that far from me here in New England. I've always longed to drive there. Perhaps next year. That tree truly is magical! Like something out of The Hobbit. I am slowly going back through your blog entries to catch up on all that I missed while I was ill this winter. It's wonderful to see all the beautiful images you post! I am trying to write in my own blog, as well, as time and energy allow. Take good care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful place to stop and explore! I love the catalog, and the actual place is as pretty as pictured. The tree is amazing, too. I remember playing under a lilac hedge when I was little, but this would be a child's dream! The gardens are so inspiring! I hope you found something sweet to take home :) xx K

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!