Pages

Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Greys of Fall









Give me the dull colors of autumn to match the grey days. There are plenty of fiery colors around  outdoors, but the drab colors go more with my mood in fall. Softer, slower, bookish, more thoughtful, and more turned inward for a season. More into the "grey matter" I suppose.





A few collected objects still entertain us at the middle of the dining room table, a room that I pass through constantly throughout my day. But I have added a few things like this silverplated tray now turned to grey. Just the sort of thing one my expect to find having been cast off at a thrift store. The sort of thing now perfect for scratches and candle wax and all manner of benign domestic abuse. I find that the rounded filgree edge has loads of charm still in it.





I just now looked up the word "dun" to make sure I knew what I was talking about when I used it. A brownish dark grey color, the dictionary says. A muddy tone. Perhaps the muted color you see in everything at twilight.




I love the silvered grey on my Apple & Brown Sugar candle. As delicious to look at as it is to smell.




Just yesterday I found this fab vintage linen cloth at Vintage Market & Design. It's old but still feels stiff and new with a wonderful thick heft. Fabulous in the hand. The grey morning light shows off some of its wonderful texture and weave. Love that flat felled seam down the middle!














I am so much more into the quiet cozy pleasures of fall.




Another dull colored find: a crackled old ironstone bowl for something delicious and warm by the fire.




Though you have hints of its once lighter color, it has become the color of acorns. . . .
















And finally, this small ancient pin tray of quiet colors to whisper lovely tales of autumn with its delicate pattern and colors. Small treasures to warm the heart in a cooler season.







It's good to be back home settling in again.
 Sometimes dull can be very good!

I hope you're getting in some cozy time too!

Jacqueline





Please join me at


22 comments:

  1. you have such a refined eye for texture and colors, shade and tone I just love looking at your pictures, you make everything, even linen look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very beautiful and inspiring, thanks for sharing and a cosy Autumn to you! Anita xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. sie haben wunderschön dekoriert!!! liebe grüße von angie aus deutschland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a pleasure to relax with a cuppa and just savor your pictures and words....coming to visit your blog is like a favorite poem. Just perfect always and puts one in a special frame of mind, leaving a better person for seeing it once again.

    Thank you for your consistently awesome posts, Jacqueline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am right there with you in the greys of Autumn. Your decor speaks to me as if it were my own home. I always admire your beautiful selection of vintage EVERYTHING in every season...no one does it like you. Your blog post is like reading my favorite magazine, Jeanne d Arc Living. Thank you always for the quiet beauty you give.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I beg to differ -- those grays and pale ivories seem to light up the gray days, which are much darker and not nearly so beautiful. This is so very lovely!

    I finally found a (sort of) white pumpkin -- I snatched it up, just in case. I don't know why they are in short supply here -- I was getting ready to paint some! Your arrangements are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jacqueline. After a hectic day of sketching out some storyboards, and having a headache, your post is like a soothing balm. As always, so luvly...
    Hugs, Gee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jacqueline,
    Grey days. . .tranquil days. . . time to rest before all the hustle and bustle of the Holiday Season.
    Love the vintage linen cloth in your post!
    "Mr.Ed" and I walked our cul~de~sac this evening. His remark concerning the outside temperature was it was "just right", mine. . .snuggling weather! We smiled at each other and continued our walk hand~in~hand.
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty, I love the transfer ware. it is so perfect for Autumn, it looks like you have some pretty pieces. Thankyou for sharing...
    Happy Autumn
    Gail
    CasualLovesElegance

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful fall colors. Love the transfer ware.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would love to have a whiff of the candle. I adore white pumpkins, my Mom got be my first Boo pumpkin many years ago and ever since then I have to have one and with her gone they seem even more endearing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the way you elevate the ordinary to be cherished and enjoyed in quiet ways. So lovely, Jacqueline!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like 'dull' and 'dun', also. Even though it is still beautiful outside, I'm enjoying nesting in for the winter months ahead. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful photographs, and a lovely tone and feel to your post. Glad I popped in :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful showing of quiet on your blog today... our grey days are settling in with fog and grey skies, there is no denying it any longer, Fall is now to be embraced! I too love the stillness... and that Apple and Brown Sugar candle sounds DIVINE!!
    stay cozy :-)
    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty and serene Autumn post with such lovely brown and white vintage transfer ware pieces. Thank you for your sweet visit.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  17. Witaj - stęskniłam się i przyszłam pooglądać te wszystkie wspaniałe naczynia, piękne naturalne materiały i śliczne białe dynie - pozdrawiam serdecznie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jacqueline, only you could make a dull, drab Fall seem so full of color and excitement. So beautiful. I finally got 3 of the blogs delivered to my in-box through e-mail after months of waiting. Sad to say yours isn't one of them, but every time I try to join back up FeedBurner just says I already have signed up..Wait and see..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely shades and it's all quietly elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have a candle that is apple and brown sugar scented!? I love the container, and that must be such a yummy scent.
    I love your nubby linen cloth too. It looks like it has a wonderful feel to it. My hand just wants to reach out and touch all the pretty things in your photos...

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful as always Jacqueline. I bet that candle does smell amazing! Thanks for joining HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!