Pages

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Weekend Wares




I shop in places you probably wouldn't want to go to. We have some clean, well lit, well managed thrift stores that I frequent, but I'm not talking about any of those. Although I know there are lots of folks who wouldn't be caught dead even there. (Milk glass shakers, {love!}, 8.00)




My favorite place is notorious. Famous for "finding nothing there". Which is largely true. It's huge, crowded, messy, has mostly more recent household stuff, a questionable clientele, and is not particularly clean. I would bust a bladder before ever using the facilities, for instance. (Ironstone butter pats, 2.00 ea.)




I can't recommend it. I wouldn't take you there. The last time I mentioned it to friends they said, oh yeah, that place, but I saw so many dealers there. . . . (Ironstone butter crock, 10.00)




It's near the edge of town by some older neighborhoods, far from the antiques district, out of the way, and the only place I go to where the oldest, cheapest stuff sometimes turns up. Maybe only one or two items in the whole place worth the trouble. (Wedding photo, 2.00)




Are you ever struck by how when you get your haul home and lay it all out it sometimes tells its own story? I can tell it's a good picking day when people keep stopping to look in my basket. I've even made transactions standing right there. Oh what a game! (Folded square doilies, 1.00).




I think these are supposed to be napkins. Pretty impractical. I have no idea yet what I will be doing with them, but don't they make a sort of pretty iris or lily looking flower? Or butterfly?




I like the still life quality of these objects together. Their suggested relationships. Weddings, lace, white, domesticity, basics like bread and butter, and salt. The romance of aged objects. Sepia tones. . . .





I am enamoured of the secret textures of life. Its layered history. Its repeated cycles as narrated through meaningless ordinary commonplace objects.




Its scratches and dents.





And most of all, its faces. . . .





 Its frozen expressions peering earnestly through the ever turning, ever fading, ever mysterious leaves of time. . . .







And I'm even willing to go out of my way, to turn over miles of junk, and to get my hands utterly filthy in order to uncover it.




I'll tell you about the old Water Babies book shown here too another time. We're done with the weekend wares for now! But what turned up for you? It seems like grey, blah days are the best for rummaging through piles if it's not too much of a mess to get out!

 Can't wait to see!

Jacqueline







36 comments:

  1. I Love stores like that! You wear dark glasses going in, so no one you know sees you! When you find a gem amongst all the junk you feel so totally in sync with the junking Gods! Love it all, especially the photo ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind getting dirty. I've found wonderful things on curbs and in dumpsters. Do you think all of those items came from the same estate? They are lovely....especially the fancy napkins. Waiting to hear about the book.....
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like your digging into what may not be clean or the "in"place paid off! Love the milk glass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little grim isn't so bad when the treasure hunting reveals goods like these. The doily napkins are intriguing, but the milk glass shakers are my favorite.
    I did a little thrifting this week and happy to say I brought home a sweet little blue and white transfer ware pitcher and a lovely blue and white Chinese cachepot. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds! I've been to some pretty "questionable" places myself! Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are my favorite places! Great finds!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love shops like that. They are not so easily found these days,but if we are out for a drive and spot one,I'm in there like a shot.
    I love your beautiful little haul.
    I love the way you put things together.
    I haven't found much lately. I'm going through withdrawals because of it. LOL
    Have a nice day x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't mind at all, I used to climb up in Dad's huge dump trucks to see what I could dig up and you wanna talk about dirty sometimes...but I would find the best things and the best part was for free boy I miss those days terribly...I love the photo you found it's a great one..and even the paper napkins are nice... Happy Sunday with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like my sort of place too! I love grubbing around duty old places...what a wonderful selection of treasures you found!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post and finds! I don't know of such places myself. The only place where I occasionally find very old treasures (mostly books) is a thrift store. I love old books. And it's weird, but I kind of like how old books smell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you write.

    Wow those "kids" in the wedding photo- they look so YOUNG. Guess I am getting OLD.

    I go to some really questionabe secondhand stores too- so I would go with you to yours, J!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jacqueline, when you can't stand to do anything before you take a bath when you get home, you know you've had a good day! Lovely finds. The way you folded those napkins together would make a beautiful wreath..Hope you had a good weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shops like that are just great! I feel ya girl!!! I am in love with the milk glass, that is always a win! And you know how I feel about old pictures! Thank you for the story! :)

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  14. omygoodness...the water babies book has me DROOLING!!!! The right book, the right age...has the most precious, precious illustrations by Mabel Lucie Attwell!! I know what you mean about digging through tons of trash to find teeny treasures Jacqueline and you apparently have that touch girl! I just love all of your finds...hugs and love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ι always enjoy your posts, this one more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful things
    Love them
    Have a nice day
    Mari

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stores like that are great. I don't mind going into them. I like to keep a small bottle of handwash in the glove compartment of my car when I leaves those types of filthy thrift stores. I find them to be good for vintage pictures, milk glass and such. Sometimes I will even find a lovely piece of old furniture like a table or lamps. To me they are definitely worth going to every few months.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really great finds. I think that these treasures prove more valuable because of doing the 'dirty' digging and picking.
    Farmhouse hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jacqueline,
    You found some great treasures at the best spot. This is my kind of place. Nothing better then digging through the stuff to "find the fabulous"
    Happy Hunting.
    Hugs, Celestina Marie
    p.s. I love the old pics!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This store sounds very mysterious and intriguing but you found some beautiful things there. I love how you shared these finds and the wonderful photos of them. You wove a sweet story, I think. I always want to wash my hands really good after digging in thrift stores! Beautiful post!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My favorite kind of place to junk. They seem far and few between with even Goodwill and Salvation Army becoming way too respectable. Just tuck those tiny napkins in tea cups. I do that with doilies and love the look.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi J,
    Well what a lovely haul, and an instant vingette. I have my mood / theme shopping too, when it all goes together, I always think that those are the things I'll really end up loving 'cause they come from the heart, not impulse. The wedding photo is fabulous, worth a thousand words indeed!! You'd take me along to your questionable places wouldn't ya :-) I'm fearless :-)
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, I have been in placed like those. You walk in thinking there is nothing there and voila it pops out at you ~ and it's really cheap. Your treasures are just wonderful. I love the photo ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful finds and I'm sure much fun in the process! I scored big here in Florida with red transferware. If you'd like, come on over and read my story!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful finds, Jacqueline, and beautiful images and words to match! (I would use those paper doilies to line a tall dessert glass and put small cookies inside for guests to nibble on with their ice cream or tea.) Oh, and I *love* places like that. This is why God invented towelettes....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jacqueline,
    I don't have many of those great find places here in urban Prairie, but run across an occasional one when vacationing!!! You found some nice items at a great price!!!
    Thanks for sharing!!!
    We're still enjoying the SNOW, dear friend!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  27. lovely post and finds. I love those grungy places.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my gosh, I'm crazy for your finds! Old photographs just enchant me, and those butter pats are to die for. I frequent places like that often, and sometimes find amazing treasures too, although it is getting harder and harder to find those goodies because smart people like you are grabbing them up!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  29. I remember that Water Babies book. My gosh am I that old. Must have been a reprint. Wonderful finds.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such lovely whites and textures. Great finds. I am following back, thanks for the visit and comment too.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Successful, you have some great finds there!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh I love love the salt and pepper shakers. I think I would be willing to go into some "questionable" places to find such lovely things.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello, I'm a new Follower and wanted to pop in to say hi. I just discovered your blog today and really enjoy reading and seeing the photos. connie

    ReplyDelete

  34. I have those same milk glass shakers and have glitter in one

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such pretty finds...and your hunting spot sounds like heaven to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!