Pages

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Santa Fe Flea


I visited the Santa Fe flea market today. It's held every weekend throughout the summer, but I never visit because it's an hour away from me, and has only a smattering of antiques. But it is not without local color. Visitors from all over come to check it out, and it's a relaxed way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Like any fleamarket anywhere, you never know what you might find.


But unlike a lot of places, this is the landscape you'll find.



When I was a girl it was common to see these water bags hanging on cars traveling the desert highways.





 

 
Western gear and art dominates the market. I think there's a niche for Cabin & Cottage Vintage Home and Garden! Here's a sample of the wares.




Pots from Mata Ortiz en Santa Fe.










Not much of this. 


Or this. 


Booth # 17


This tiny shaker is the one thing I brought home. Too cute to leave behind.


Victorian lace lampshade.







Very tempting.


No longer living.









I had the Dreamsicle, but it wasn't as good as I remembered. All in all it was a beautiful day and a fun outing. July and August are supposed to be the peak times for this market. I almost can't imagine how hot it will be by then!
Hasta la vista!
Ciao! for now!

Jacqueline


16 comments:

  1. I've noticed that flea markets as of late aren't much for finding antiques anymore either. However, you've got some great photos here of what you did find! LOVE the mason jars, cabinet and plant stand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacquelin! Oh, I love flea markets but just don't run into them much. I may have told you but we used to live in Roswell and it was such a treat to go to Santa Fe! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes it looks as hot there as it is here! I have been so frustrated with the fleas around here, no treasures like I'm looking for! I need a Kansas barn sale BAD! All in good time, and until then, I will just be happy reading blogs and seeing what everyone else is scoring! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to the Vintage Marketplace in Rainbow California this weekend. Lots of vintage. I'm posting it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is does look hot there.. I'm strangely drawn to the animal head bones, I think they look quite beautiful :)... and blue maison jars they seem quite common in America, I have never seen one over here x

    ReplyDelete
  6. LoVe the chippy metal pedestal stool/plant stand...
    Jeanine, ChiPPy!-SHaBBy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've never been! shame on us. But it is certainly going to be on the list. I think I'll leave hubby at the hotel with a cold one! Thanks for sharing. Our back door neighbor at our place in Mora was Jack......

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the keys and the rusty aged plant stand, they had character.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a cool Flea Market. Such a mix of cultures. Can't wait to see how you mix in your little shaker. California is full of hot deserts too, if I go at all in the Summer, I go early, and can't stay long. The heat really gets me. Always has. Love the water bag, such a great piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am drawn to that western look. We have always wanted a log cabin and that would be a fun way to decorate it. But that is not happening right now. I am glad you found something to treasure at the flea. ♥O

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buenas Dias J,
    I loved seeing your flea! It is fun to see how the other half lives:-) The desert is always a mystery!
    Where you are it's much more rugged terrain? The cottonwoods here are blooming, balls of snow rolling in the streets, I thought of you:-)
    It looks like a fun niche!
    Will catch up on your post soon, I have been peaking here and there:-) Too much garden work, not enough sun here.... same old stoy:-)
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a great flea!!
    Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks like there was something for everyone. If not tempted by the goodies on sale, one can just sit back with an ice cone and take in the stunning vista. Lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Jacqueline! Looks like some lovely finds - I love what you've brought home! I would have been drawn to that too! Beautiful - reminds me of when we lived in California - then when dad retired we drove across the country to SC - I still have my boots -I believe we purchased them in Arizona. Would love to visit the Southwest again!
    Hope you have a wonderful week,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  15. We travel to Santa Fe often...but I've never been to their flea market. We will be there again in October....where is this flea located, if I may ask?

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. There are two feamarkets in Santa Fe. This one is the Traditional Fleamarket (the best) by the race track south of town.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!