Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2021

Making Home Cozy With Vintage Linens


Hello friends! It's time to start thinking about how I will dress my Thanksgiving table. I am a linen lover, so I use more linen at home every day than the average person. Even when our children were small we enjoyed using cloth napkins for meals, and pretty embroidered pillowcases on beds. I loved and used quilts as much then as I do now. 

It's a wide world, and there are many ways to define what makes a home, but I wonder what warm memories of home the average child now takes forward as they grow into adults? But nice linens remain one of my personal family values.



In our throwaway culture, using cloth can be a real standout in making your home more homey. And it saves on using so many paper products! But aside from that, people feel more special somehow when they sit down to a table set with a cloth napkin and a tablecloth. Many dinner conversations with guests have begun with comments about the table dressing at our house. I even find it easier to toss a cloth into the washer than to scrub a table!




But I can't help myself anymore at any rate. When I found these four lovely tea towels together at the flea market for about a dollar each, all I could think of was what nice napkins they would make for a table setting.










Linens add to coziness, but when the cold weather starts, almost everything turns inward for me. I read more, go to bed earlier, stay in bed longer in the morning, and think more about drinks and food. Recently I have wanted even more than usual to enjoy good scents in the house too. When I came across these pine scented inscense sticks, nothing seemed more cozy to me! Too early for fires in the evening still, but a little smell of a camp fire is a comforting thought. A little goes a long way when it comes to this though. A few minutes of a candle burning can infuse a lot and last quite a while.  










There is still time for autumm forest walks and leaf gathering, which we have to go out of the way to do here. For now, my little wooden acorns will do. 




I have been adding to my wreath collection too, which I have out year round. They all segue right into the holiday season, which has us thinking, more than any other time of year, of all things homey, cozy, and snug.




Taken all together, maybe adding a little linen love can help you on your way to a more beautiful and cozy winter season too!



































Time now for a snuggly afghan and a good book!

What's making things cozy for you?

Sending warm thoughts your way, 


Jacqueline





Join me at




 

13 comments:

  1. Hi Jacqueline, I also love,l8nens but have not developed the skill of ironing perfection. It is always a wonder to see your work and wonderful collection. Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I feel more special with cloth napkins but I do. I have baskets of them I don't use often, none so lovely as any of the linens here. They are beautiful, Jacqueline. And I love the acorns, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are particularly beautiful. I can't cram one more linen in my closet, and I think I will have to part with a few! I also have a penchant for colored base tablecloths, to put all the cutwork ones on...yikes. Gorgeous post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also love the vintage photos. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you use linen because you have such a beautiful collection. I have a few linen napkins that I still use and table clothes. Happy Thanksgiving. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still treasure the pair of pillowcases I bought from you several years ago. They are favorites when they are on the bed. We use only cloth napkins now, which I think the whole family enjoys. I love, love vintage linens and have about 25 tablecloths I love using.
    Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have always used cloth napkins in our home - I hate the feel of paper scraped across my face! Your tea towels are beautiful as napkins. What a great find. So wish I could visit your shop as it must be lovely. Always enjoy your posts - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Jacqueline - it is always so wonderful to pop in for a visit and see such beauty and sentiment. What a wonderful collection of vintage and antique linens you have shared with us. Thank you for that.

    I just can't seem to ever make the time for blogging anymore - think of it often and then the day again passes. Sigh.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Enjoy the holidays to follow. I still cannot even believe it is that time of year already. Whew. Let's Do The Time Warp Again!

    Hugs. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your linens are gorgeous, what a beautiful find. Tea towels would be the perfect size. I've never used linen napkins except for very special occasions. I'm one of those that wear dark or red lipstick all the time and I know it would surely ruin any linen that I touched. But they're so pretty to collect and display. I'm going to check out your little incense bricks, they look and sound like the perfect scent for me. I'm all about woodsy campfire smells. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, J!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some of my husband's great aunt's linens Her dinner napkin are large like a tea towel almost! Like you I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jacqueline, I am always amazed at your linen collection and how spotless they are. Your love of linens makes it look so easy but I know that it is not easy to get them from the bottom of a pile at the thrift store to where they are when you display them. So beautiful. I use cloth napkins for special occasions but I admit not as often as I should. I will admit that most of mine have a few spots that will be with them always! That is the prettiest wreath, so dainty. I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving..xxoJudy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your home is always so lovely, and so delightful to see your beautiful linens and pretty wreath. I love the vintage photo, too - they always intrigue me and I wonder about the people and how they lived. Your linens must have taken someone a long time to create, and made perhaps for a hope chest or a special gift? Your guests must enjoy all the dainties and the warm and cozy atmosphere. I love the idea of the incense, too. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving. x K

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are beautiful. I too love linens and textiles. Thanks for your wonderful blog and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!