Pages

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Christmastime At Home



I think we are finally home. We have been adding Christmas touches here and there between trips, but I think we are free now to get down to the business of making our home ready to welcome guests.




We have a smallish place that gets filled to bursting with our large family during the holidays. So glad for that! But it can pose some real challenges to fit everyone in comfortably, so I am always on the search for more space.




I am loving the green wreath of welcome in the tiny front hall. This closet door used to be a wood finish, and painting it white made the small entry feel so much bigger. 




I let go of a ton of furniture this year that had become unworkable. Heavy club chairs that took up too much space, pieces that needed work, and things that I liked to look at but that were not really comfortable anymore. It was hard letting things go! But it made life so much easier.




Our decorating is somewhat different every year. I think I get tired of things. But these twiggy trees that were in the shop last year are feeling festive in this small space.




I have lost a lot of white for now, but everyone who sits in that smallish (not new) recliner loves the comfort, and some of them have gone right to sleep! Haha! And I was able to gain more space by getting rid of an ottoman. Win, win.




I keep most of my accessories year 'round (like this Santo) that get a dressing up for Christmas. Books are in stacks everywhere, and we live with them like some of you live with pets! Something that you love and want to accommodate.




I buy these short church candles by the dozen. They are cheap from the grocery and add so much cheer! They go everywhere. The dining table, the coffee table, the mantel. I don't like to deal with candle wax. And they look so much better half gone than the tall ones. (Easier to light too.) They are lit all day when it is overcast. And they light up my vintage garland too!




Loving the punch of red this time of year. . . .




This splendid girl visits at Christmastime too! She is an original oil painting with her lovely red curls and brown eyes, and needs to be seen up close to be appreciated.




The mantel is simple this year, and the hearth kept pretty clear for fires. You maybe can't tell that the chair is pulled a bit out into the room.









I also removed my bigger coffee table and two smaller scatter tables from this room. The tan window shade was replaced with a white one too, which breaks up the wall less. 




The hearth doesn't change much, but got a cache of antlers this year.





It's a challenge to keep the fireplace sort of free for use, and also nice to look at. The tin tile cover is easy to remove for a cozy fire.





This pine cone garland goes up early and comes down late fall through winter.










The felt pillows are new from Home Goods giving us more Cabin than Cottage this year.





The hutch has a start, but the dining room table will get a fairly constant Christmas rotation for the duration. It's the most used space in the house! Right now it's a perch for vintage ornaments. Everything goes in and out from here, and soon will be filled with more meals than you can count!




I have sold off much of my vintage ornament collection, but these are still bringing me some cheer this year. I like them right in the box!









This is my new coffee table/office/media manager now. A tiny primitive work bench with a lower shelf for magazines and full of holes. Go ahead and put your feet on it!!














I hope you are having at lot of the fun kind of busy these days. It all goes so fast! Our people will come in waves. And it's all about the people.





So nice to have you visit!

 Come back anytime!

Have a great weekend and a Happy Christmastime!

Jacqueline







13 comments:

  1. Tudo de muito bom gosto.
    Amei a decoração.
    A guirlanda verde é linda.
    O tapete é muito bonito também.
    Bom Natal para toda família.
    bjs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the soft, romantic look of your home. It makes one feel cozy and restful! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do casual so well! The ornaments in the box surprised me, but they are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twiggy trees and shiny brites and beautiful pine cones. I love it all,Jacqueline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the house and how comfy and cozy it looks. Your Twiggy Trees are pretty cute. Love the touches of red for Christmas too Jacqueline. Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is Looking so lovely Jacqueline!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your home always looks lovely.

    I laughed about getting rid of the ottoman and gaining precious space. I can totally identify. Instead of getting rid of furniture though, I rethought where pieces were placed. I moved 11 different pieces of furniture around the house and none ended up in the attic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our dining room table is where we congregate the most --- therefore, it is always decorated with life of the moment. I try to decorate with some Christmas on it, but end up moving it to accommodate food! I don't think anyone ever notices the constant disarray.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacqueline, your home always looks so warm and cozy and Christmas is no exception. Love the red Home Goods pillow and you are smart letting go of things but it is hard, isn't it? I should take my own advice..Merry Christmas..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, it is all about the people. And people will start coming this week, so trying to finish the baking and wrapping and sprucing up a bit. I always love visiting your sweet cottage and savoring your creativity. Love those little twiggy trees and the vintage ornaments in the boxes. Enjoy each moment with dear ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the twiggy trees and they are looking great. Love the pine cone garland too.

    Enjoy season

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Jacqueline, It is always such a pleasure to visit your blog~
    Your home is soft and cozy and bright! Beautiful decor and ready to welcome your family and guests. I like your mantel very much, and your new simple coffee table! Perfect! Enjoyed each and every photo shared here. Have a great rest of the week! Hugs, karen o

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the soft, vintage touches - so light and sparkly. Lucky guests. x Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!