Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Laces and Lettuces



I think that I may always be trying to live a Brambly Hedge life, but the tendency seems to grow stronger in spring. At least that's when I am most apt to get lost in a mouse story or bunny tale world! 



I have a million variations of the Jill Barklem books, but that doesn't stop me from looking for new editions now and then, and I recently found this nice one on Amazon. It was actually published a few years ago, and comes in a slip case. Makes a beautiful gift.




I will never outgrow this little fairy tale world which always seems to start with spring.




I am also celebrating a new ironstone pitcher and bowl. When I went to pay for them at a giddy price, the lady at the counter pointed out a crack in the bowl, which of course I already knew was there. Since I have a few cracks now myself, I don't mind a bit! Haha!




Right now my new lettuce flat has a cheery place to wait for it's place in the garden.




I had actually gone back to the shop to get this cotton print panel that I had turned down a week ago and had not been able to forget. I knew it would already be gone. But there it was just waiting for me!




And what should I find but a new stash of laces that had not been there before?!




Also well priced and in wonderful condition. These are all table runners. Pinch me!









Two identical Quaker lace runners in perfect shape.




But this one makes me swoon.








I also don't have anyone young enough around right now to take to the new Peter Rabbit movie, but I didn't let that stop me. Me and Mr. Cottage got a private showing at a local theater at 11 am. (Just worked out that way. I don't think many seniors were clamoring to see that one on a Thursday morning before Oscars. Haha!) Delightful! Wonderful therapy. And it got me all worked up to get into the garden!




There is always a beautiful new version of a B. Potter collection at the bookstore too, but I restrained myself. I have had this version for a while now. So I went and bought lettuce seeds instead!




And I am not too late for the peas! Can't wait to see them popping up.














A nice bouquet from a new friend is also making me feel springy while it blows outside. I know a bunch of you are still getting horrible bad weather. So this is for you too!




Finally, one more version of my kind of gardening book is illustrated by Inga Moore. I love her delicate drawings. (I have also already watched The Secret Garden movie recently. I have spring fever BAD! The 1993 version is my favorite.)








This is one of my favorite drawings of hers from Wind in the Willows. 










So that's me . . .

Welcome to March!

I hope it is all starting out well for you!

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Think spring!

Jacqueline








23 comments:

  1. I love the pitcher and bowl and the runner and books. I've always collected but the older I get the more I enjoy beautiful lace, linen and ironstone. I enjoy each visit to your blog.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun post from the pitcher to the books, to Peter Rabbit. Something lovely about going to the movies as a senior-----in the (gasp) middle of the day! Eating popcorn for lunch and laughing your head off...grins. I'm totally with you on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it all, J. I just found some small Peter Rabbit books that I had packed away. Hurray for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh Thank you so-so much for this " pick me up" Spring is just around the corner post. Beautiful.Just what I needed. Thank you.
    Deanna (Montreal, Quebec)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your fun books to think of Easter and Spring. You my dear are the linen whisper!!! You find the best linens. I cannot wait to see Spring. I am so over winter and would love to see some new life beginning again. Happy Thursday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always looks like spring at your house. How can you decide what to sell? I didn't know you were such a gardener. I will be starting seeds today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Jacqueline, I love the sweet pops of color you are sharing here and all these fabulous illustrations from some of my favorite books. I adore Beatrix Potter anything and can't wait till our Baby Grand can get to know Peter and friends. Secret Garden, Wind in the Willows, your wonderful green garden seeds and a pop of pink in your bouquet. Your pitcher and bowl -- beautiful. Oh, you got me in my happy place right here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful post!!! I love all your pictures and the new found lines, everything is lovely. I’m jealous of all your beautiful little books. Have a great day. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely post. I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those table runners make me swoon too! Oh my they are beautiful. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful. I love Brambly Hedge also. Have a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was such a delightful post ... and you’re never too old to appreciate the “ Secret Garden and Beatrix Potter...They are indeed inspiring !!!! ...I do believe that you have been smitten by Peter Rabbit and inherited the green thumb for a Springtime of joyful planting. The shopping materials is just a PLUS ... love those lace runners and that gorgeous green fabric ..It’s so mellow and inviting..Can’t wait to see what you’re going to do with it ( ha Ha)....maybe make a table cloth to enhance that lovely white pitcher and bowl... Thanks for the lovely teatime read...Enjoy your day ..Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. So so lovely Jacqueline~
    Your laces and white stoneware are amazing and restful to view.
    And I love the 'whimsy' of Peter Rabbit and the other characters
    you've shared! Thank you & hugs too, karen O

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, everything about this post is making me swoon!!! I want it all. Gorgeous lace runners, fabric, pitcher and bowl, books, just everything. When I was a young girl I dreamed like the Brambly books, though I didn't know Brambly. My village lived under the tree and was lady bugs. Loving springtime in my part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful to see the sweet book illustrations and your lovely finds. The laces are so pretty and I would have gone back for the fabric, too! It's perfect for spring. Have fun playing in the dirt with your lettuces and seeds :) Happy Spring! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. You certainly got some great finds in the lace. We two seniors went to see the Peter Rabbit movie without a child too. I thought the advertisements for it looked wonderful and I couldn't wait to see the garden and the houses inside. By the way, wondering if you saw the Fixer Upper episode recently where Joanna and Chip Gaines put in a garden shed and wonderful garden? They ended up putting a rock wall in for the fireplace and it was a beautiful sight! Be still my heart. If you didn't catch the episode and get a chance to see it, it truly is worth the watch. So inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lettuce and lace, what's not to love? I will be planting butter crunch lettuce starts this week, along with seeds of assorted varieties. I love edging my grow box with them. Petty and yummy! I love Beatrix Potter. Miss Potter is one of my favorite movies. I did my spring mantle in honor of the new Peter Rabbit movie this year. Hubby and I took one granddaughter. She's 17, but we all enjoyed it. I have spring fever for sure. Spent a few hours yesterday and today doing spring clean up. Felt so good to get out and dig in the dirt. :)
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  18. All the lace is so beautiful. Spring has definitely arrived in your home and in a very delicate way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How sweet, lace and Mr. McGregor's garden. It looks so pretty the way you styled it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jacqueline, how pretty are those lovely lacy finds. The pitcher and bowl is perfect with them.
    I saw Peter Rabbit last week,at the cinema and loved loved loved it. Such a nice film. It too got me thinking gardening in the veggie patch and I also went out and bought some new packets of seeds. We are just children at heart.
    Xx jeanette ann

    ReplyDelete
  21. So inspiring. Thanks for sharing these. The seed packets are wonderful with your illustrated books.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jacqueline, not sure how I missed this post earlier, but happy to be here. You have featured some of my favorite books as well. As an elementary teacher, these were staples for sharing with my young students. One of the things I miss most in retirement is my collection of beautiful children's books which I left behind in the school for students and teachers to continue to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!