Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2018

An Old Farmhouse and A Closer Look That Old Vintage Coverlet







Life has been so full for me lately, and one of the soulful things I got to do last week was to visit the timeless and beautiful New Mexico farmhouse of my friend Charlie. 




It felt like crossing a threshold through time. 




If you have spent much time in the New Mexico countryside, you can attest to the authenticity of this often austere landscape. The Rio Grande is not far in the distance, and with the arrival of spring a bit of green will soon appear along the riverbanks.



But now, some of you wanted to see more of this fabulous coverlet that I only gave you a peek of in my last post. So this morning I threw it over my bed to have a better look at it myself.




It blends well with my newer vintage-look pillowcases from Ikea.




And has fabulous crochet insets and trim.













A few ivory folds cascade over the end of the bed. . . 




with another lace throw to add a little sumptuousness to my Sunday morning whims.




I also rediscovered some monogrammed initials at the center of the coverlet that I had long forgotten about. I'm often not sure what the letters actually are, but find them beautiful just the same. Is that lower one an "I" ?




If only these lovelies had a farmhouse of their own to lay claim to!















Meanwhile, back at the ranch. . . .




If only our spring winds would be over for awhile!

There are a few tumbling tumbleweeds still to go before it's over.

Have a great week ahead!

Jacqueline





14 comments:

  1. Nothing says southwest more than your pictures. I once saw tumbleweeds in a magazine that had been painted white and strung with lights. They were hanging in a tree and it was very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful photos - I love the ones of the exteriors of the house...and of course the bed covering is beautiful. You really caught a feeling of "place".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love Charlie's place---a true hacienda!!! What fun that you get to visit it. I love the work on that bed spread, too. It is really a work of art!
    Happy upcoming week to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. The homestead looks like something out of an old John Wayne movie!! Awesome!!
    Your bed looks amazing with the gorgeous cover and pillows adorning it, Jacqueline! LOVE it all!
    Debbie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That IS a fabulous coverlet. No wonder you were so enchanted!

    And yes, austere is a good word. I think I'd miss my trees but there is a certain energy that one draws with the lack of external landscape, just the land.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's difficult for me to wrap my head around your landscape out there - as everything around me is deep forest green and water, and cliffs where I grew up. I really wish I'd visited my aunt and uncle when they lived out there on their 13 acres. Always wanted to but was knee-deep in my career and bringing up two daughters on my own. They passed away and it is something I will regret when I think of it.

    I ADORE that coverlet- thanks so much for sharing more. It's gorgeous! So are you going to leave it there or sell it in your shop? Curious minds need to know, haha. Wish you sold on etsy and shipped things. That would be so nice to shop at Cabin and Cottage!

    Anyway, as always, your blog calms me and makes me feel so blessed to have stopped by.

    I am full of hundreds of ideas for blog posting and empty as far as time and energy to do so. I shared my Easter tablescape last post, which is more spring-y then Eastery, kinda.

    Hugs to you, sweet friend. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jacqueline the coverlet is absolutely a dream!
    Scrumptious~ Thank you for sharing. I love love
    it~
    (And now I wish I had an Ikea near by . . .
    As far as the wild south-west goes; ) I do miss it <3
    Living most of my life in CO, I had the opportunity
    to visit NM many times. There is a raw beauty to it's
    prairie and the Rocky Mountains there are awesome~
    Thank you for the wonderful photo's and visit~ hugs, karen o

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a girl after my own heart. I love linens, especially antique ones. They have this vibe of history and beautiful craftsmanship. I actually found some beautiful linen this past week at a rummage sale and I was in heaven. You can see some of them here: https://theblushbloom.com/the-coterie/2018/4/7/the-delicacy-of-antique-linens.

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete

  9. Oh How wonderful to visit such and authentic place, I loved the iron pot at the door. I haven't been in that area for years, like 50.

    love your coverlet of course and I like anything with monogrammed letters on it even if they are mine

    such great picture of the old gates

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful to see your friend's beautiful southwest farmstead and the wonderful coverlet in your sweet room. Your photos bring back sweet memories of my parent's home near Los Alamos in the mid-70's. Such a magical place. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love exploring that ranch. I love places like that. And that coverlet is just beautiful spread out on your bed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful coverlet...really...
    Enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing coverlet. I love the crocheted trims and inset and the monograms, too.

    Happy May 1st!

    Rita

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!