Pages

Friday, July 21, 2017

Just when you think that dress up days are over...




My girls have had a couple of years when they were not so interested in dressing up at Granny Camp anymore, and so I thought those fun days were over. So when I got the query, "Do you have any white dresses we can wear Gramma?" you can imagine that I was pleased.




We tried a couple of frilly things that they had never seen before to check the fit, and the girls were enchanted! Just what was needed for an impromptu bubble blowing session! As much as we enjoyed the old tea parties on the lawn, the festivities have taken a livelier turn for now. 




Emma's outfit is an antique camisole worn as a blouse with a cotton slip that has a hand tatted hem.





The details of vintage clothing are wonderful, of course, with the delicate laces, gathers, ruffles and pin-tucks.




We discovered some details when taking the pictures that we didn't even realize were there, like these beautiful personal monogrammed initials on the bodice. Such a refined touch!




Victorian clothing is often found in very small sizes. Emma is very slender, yet the waist of the bodice was still too small. We adapted the fit with a sash tied in the middle.




The garment was without doubt made to the exact measurements of it's original owner.




The craftsmanship is truly impressive, and I love having a few hand made things always hanging in the guest room.









Daisy's dress is an antique net fabric with adorable ruffles on the skirt and sleeves. (I guess she always packs her tiara when she travels. Haha!) I fished out an old cotton nightgown for her to wear underneath. Besides always looking for things for the Cabin & Cottage shop, I'm sure I will always collect pretty old vintage clothes in white when I find them at a good price.




I love the sweet lace ruffles at the sleeve.








The dress has a lovely pleated cummerbund that doesn't show well here. But it looks especially lovely hanging sheer from a hanger. 




Daisy says she would love to wear it as a wedding dress someday.




That's a softball she is getting ready to toss for now!





The girls have been dressing up with me for a long time now. Here is a link to a post of these little girls in white dresses from a half a dozen years ago. 






Hope you're having some fun times too!

So nice that you stopped by!

Happy summer days!

Jacqueline









21 comments:

  1. It's a shame we don't dress like that anymore. The girls look so pretty in those dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are beautiful! I love both of their vintage dresses/skirt/camisoles but I am especially fond of Daisys. This is how I actually dress every day but a bit more loosly and bohemian for comfort at my older age. How wonderful of a day and season in life with them for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dresses are so pretty and so are the girls.
    Merle...............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! But you need Mres Tiggywinkle to iron clothes like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post, Jacqueline!
    Wishing you a beautiful day,
    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your granddaughters look so sweet in the vintage clothing. Oh to have a body so small again! Love the garments- the details are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that the girls wanted to dress up! Beautiful pictures, they are precious. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just think what the clothes are feeling! What fun that they've enjoyed another lovely summer day being worn by charming young ladies when they thought their days of adventure were over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful! I have always been enchanted with lovely white vintage clothing. I'm just waiting for the day when my 10 year old granddaughter will put on a dress again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Grand Daughters look so lovely in the vintage dresses! You have such a wonderful collection...

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I had these dresses I would wear them regularly, not just for dress-up days. They're beautiful. And how pretty your grand daughters are - such lovely hair they have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jacqueline, this just makes me smile. First, just the though of granny camp with you would thrill anyone, but these charming vintage items along with lighthearted fun is just the best. Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still lovely! Just like I said on the older post you linked to! Thought I remembered it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh they are beyond precious!

    Those outfits are heavenly - they are such pretty girls! You must be so proud, Jacqueline - what a special thing this is. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this post is adorable. They look like something dropped out of an historical novel. I love the view of the net sleeve. We never see French seams anymore---and those are so perfect. Lovely!, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  16. How beautiful those dresses are and how wonderful Grandma that is so cool just happened to have them LOL
    The dresses look perfect on the girls and I love the details

    ReplyDelete
  17. Biggest gasp! Glorious, gorgeous, adorable, sweet, enchanting. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these soft romantic pictures with your girls. They look so ready for croquet on the lawn and the dresses are lovely!

    As for dresses for women my age: I see April Cornell and Victorian Trading Co presenting dresses but I still am not quite there. For one thing, as a senior I am larger and they really don't look good on me. I sure wore them in the 90's!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a most wonderful post. How fun for you to have these beauties in your life to play, have Gramma camp, and dress in pretty white things. I love, love, love white vintage clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love those outfits. I would wear them if they would fit me. I never find anything like those! I dropped to a size 10 losing 6 dress sizes but doubt they would fit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are always little girls, no matter how old they get! And what fun that they still enjoy "playing dress up" that way... although little wonder when the clothes are so lovely. What a perfect day, remembered with photographs they will always treasure, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!