Pages

Thursday, March 23, 2017

A Clean Sweep of the Last Week of Winter





No snow for us, but if you look closely at the paving stones here, you may see that a misty spring rain has just begun to fall. These days I must seize the moments as they come for my blogging ventures!  But the low light gives me the feeling of looking into a diorama of my patio scene, rather than the real thing. It's only the first dust off and sweep up for the new season.





The recent burst of green has me staring out of my office windows for longer periods as spring unfolds. And the periwinkle blooms are among the first to arrive! Also called creeping myrtle, the vines grow over the warm pavement even in winter, especially as mild as it has been this year.





A hardy trumpet vine pretty much looks after itself in this corner as well. And a few sturdy geraniums will soon fill the empty garden pot.




My melancholy maiden will shortly have more color to brighten her day!





Having a few basic garden structures in place makes you feel like more is happening in a space than really is, and makes for a head start when it's time for filling in the patio with new spring plantings.





I can't tell you how many market umbrellas have come and gone though the years! They need looking after almost as much as a family pet! with our harsh New Mexico sunlight and unpredictable winds. Invariably at least once a year one will get spirited away by a ferocious whirlwind out of the calmest afternoon!





Potted hyacinth from the grocery give me something exciting to peek at over the coming days. I seem to only be able to tend plants that are right under my nose! I wonder what color they are. 





A few vines have begun festooning over the bird cage in celebration. Time to start luring a few wild birds into this space too. So thrilling when the first hummers arrive!





 Ready to launch a few afternoon teas as soon as the weather complies! I can't wait to sit down to goodies with a pretty vintage cloth fluttering lazily in the open air. 






Stay tuned!

I hope you are leading up to a lovely spring weekend ahead!

Marching on. . .

Jacqueline 




Join me at







17 comments:

  1. What a charming spot. You have so many wonderful accents to build upon. It must give you great pleasure. Happy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks pretty already. I love it outside in summer so I spend spring getting everything ready for it. I tend to use tot much, so really have to watch myself. I don't want it to look like a garden store. I actually have much garden stuff stored behind the greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. too, it should read. I just hate it when I don't check for spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely to be preparing for outdoor living. How I love when I can open up the house and leap outdoors. Tea time on the patio would be so wonderful. Enjoy! Much rain still here, but a few rays of sunshine now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden patio is so lovely. The maiden statuary is beautiful. We go through the market umbrellas too. Currently we have four natural small market umbrellas on our patio from Home Depot. We have learned that the small ones last longer in our weather. We leave them up year round. We just put down fresh crushed granite around our gardens and my husband build new raised beds. It feels so clean and zen. This weekend we will begin planting vegetables. Happy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Jacqueline, I have always loved your home, yet your patio in a different light had me breathing shallow breaths trying to catch my breath.
    Your veranda patio is divinely beautiful and welcomes nature and its rawness into your courtyard for a closer look

    See You soon and all you are up to creaticely.

    Xx
    Dore





    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden patio space is beautiful Jacqueline. I know once you get all your pretty flowers out there it is going to be a beautiful sanctuary for you.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete

  8. I would certainly enjoy tea with you out on your patio. Love the huge bird cage.
    I can't leave my umbrella out any day because of a sudden winds.

    I would love to be out there with cup hot tea a new magazine and maybe some scones
    You have a very lovely spot, enjoy it everyday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your garden is lovely and your world is waking up to the new season. Isn't it wonderful, after the winter to see such lovelies as those purple flowers? Sweeping away the winter. Indeed -- you are doing it well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Jacqueline, the garden is beginning to show itself. Love the birdcage

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Spring Jacqueline! I always look forward to your emails, knowing something beautiful is about to happen! Your patio is so lovely. I wish I could join you for that tea and goodies. I'm so anxious for weather conducive to planting but in the meantime I'm rearranging some things on my patio to give it more of a French Country feel. You've given me some great ideas and inspiration. Hugs, Pat at Bringing French Country Home

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful space to enjoy the first signs of spring! I would be quite happy there! Such lovely things......I love it all. Wishing you a happy spring. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your courtyard is so beautiful! Happy Spring.... we head back to Vancouver Island next week and look forward to enjoying the spring blossoms there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I Love that birdhouse!! If I were a bird I would want to live in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your courtyard is very romantic! Love the atmosphere there. Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely patio. My umbrellas take a beating in the Texas sun. Can't live without them though. My periwinkle was the first to bloom this year too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!