Pages

Monday, November 23, 2015

Making The Most Of Small House Living





I was going to title this post "The Inner Sanctum," which is the way I really feel about the master bedroom. But it is also a somewhat shared space in our home, and the room is right next to our front door!



You might get a sense (above) of a sort of vestibule entry to this room, and that little space does offer a feeling of privacy. In addition, I have incorporated a substantial wood screen/ room divider. We have several in our home, and I don't know how a small house can function without them!




I have shared an occasional peek into this room before, but we recently inherited a beautiful little bedside chest that we wanted for this room, and made other small changes. The tall covered bookcase went to my son's apartment, and the small dresser took its place. I also moved the mirror (barely seen on the right), to take the place of the frame and floral watercolor that was placed at the center.




The little chest always stood in my mother-in-law's' guest room when we visited her. With her recent passing, it is a nice reminder of our many lovely visits together over the years.




But finding more livable space is what is on my mind. We had a local family Thanksgiving dinner just last night (we travel to more family for the actual holiday this year), and it's not the first time I have used this room as an annex to the living room, which is just outside the door. I send kids in here to pile on the bed for TV and games when the house is full so that the adults can be comfortable in the small living room. (There is no "bonus" room!) The youngsters always think they are being offered something special. Sometimes the little ones drop off to sleep.




Last night, the oldest picked this comfy chair with the power cord nearby for his I-phone. Everybody is happy! But it is also a great personal retreat for me for reading or blogging, (or de-stressing) when the house is full.



I have recently really worked at de-junking this room. All  the odds and ends that don't fit anywhere else when guests come get stashed in here at the last minute, and then take up residence. (The framed pictures leaning against the fireplace, for instance.) And yes! Having a bedroom fireplace is wonderfully romantic and cozy on a wintry day. And I have just claimed this room as a work space, 




The large screen hides everything stowed behind it, but it even has a third panel that can be swung out if needed! And just what is hidden away behind???




The little secretary desk and file cabinet used to do business behind the checkout counter in the old Cabin & Cottage shop. Perfect for a tiny bedroom corner! The vintage curtain conceals suitcases for more storage.




Most of the junky stuff is still hidden behind the screen, and I often cover the rest of the office clutter with pretty linen. I want to minimize the business end in this restful space, since it is a bedroom after all! The covers also maintain my privacy from the occasional visitors.




This beautiful linen piece is a souvenir from a trip to Italy.




Maybe you noticed my best dolly girls are also all here! The grandgirls play with these under supervision. They are already mostly dressed for the holidays.



So now you know the rest of the story!




As you can see, little touches of Christmas are beginning to appear. Such an exciting time of year!




Happy Thanksgiving week!
Be safe!
Be happy!

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit!

Jacqueline




Join me at



20 comments:

  1. Your Master Bedroom is so pretty and cozy. Love all the softness. You have done an excellent job of making use of your small space in a wonderful way. Love the idea of the screen, and what a pretty screen it is! Of course I am in love with your pretty linen from Italy.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving~


    hugs,
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete

  2. The rest of the story is great and it's all your stuff LOL
    Don't apologize for not living in the huge fancy expensive house that I don't have either LOL
    I live very modest and my house is usually a disaster that is why I never show my complete studio any more. I don't have the tri fold screen to hid things.

    Since I live alone I have found I don't pick up after myself like you do.
    I would have those picture frames under my bed with other stuff ! waiting for project day.

    Everything you show us is dreamy.
    I sold all my dolls except my santos I made out of a country wood doll.

    I rattled on and on LOL

    love you love your pretty stuff

    Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is everything I would expect from you. Just gorgeous - perfect. Have the best Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jacqueline. Thanks for the little peek around the corners of your pretty bedroom. It's lovely and a great retreat for you (and your grandkids). Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and many blessings to you and yours.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always have the prettiest and most feminine things!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your room looks light, friendly and charming. What more is there? I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jacqueline, thank you for sharing a bit more of your charming home, small, but big on charm.
    I think like you, I look at the closet room to my small front living room to add a bit of flow to its space in living. I too like that quiet space you can retreat to, getting out of the way of commotion and noise, as for the folding screen I have wanted one for the home to just hide a corner of things I don't want to look at, to think you have three of them, you must share the other twos functions as well.

    The inherited chest went to the right home, it looks charming in its place and I know it will be used and loved for a very long time.
    It sounds like you have a busy holiday with before and after meals and the family visiting you have planned?
    I hope to see more of your home and all its little cozy corners in your holiday postings.

    See you soon,
    Happy Thanksgiving.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jacqueline, thanks for the look at your small bedroom. Ours is too, so any tips and ideas to make the most of it are always welcome. Yours is so pretty and truly does look like a retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved getting to peek into this room ~ your little secretary desk is gorgeous!!!
    I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving, Jacqueline!
    Big hugs,
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jacqueline,
    I love a small and cozy home space. Yours is so wonderful. Every corner is so pretty in your home. Happy Thanksgiving.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. So tranquil Jacqueline~ It's beautiful to find room for both relaxation AND business in one beautiful location! : ) Thanks for sharing. ~ Karen O

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jacqueline,
    What a wonderful bedroom. I immediately noticed the carved wooden piece above the entry to the room, and then spotted the fireplace before you mentioned it. Both of these give your room so much individual presence. I bet the grandchildren love getting to lie on your bed to watch TV. What memories for telling and retelling in years to come are being made.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so behind on blogging...sorry to hear of your mother in law's passing. Her little chest of drawers looks perfect in your master and I love how it contrasts among your dreamy whites!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My master is behind the front door too, and my house is also a bit small. I like the idea of using room dividers. I actually just told my husband the other day that we need a room divider in the basement.

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful haven! So peaceful and simply lovely! I can see why it is a special treat for the kids to be there -- and I love the office. I think I should get a few of those screens... a wonderful idea.

    It's lovely that you have your mother in law's little chest. I love it when we can incorporate the furnishings of special people into our space.

    Have a splendid Thanksgiving, Jacqueline!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jacqueline, stopping by to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Love seeing more of your home, and of course, your touches for Christmas are delightful. Love those little houses.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jacqueline, such a pretty peaceful master. Lovely little chest too. Pretty Christmas touches and I love those houses, I have some very similar. Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Family gathered here would be so special. Love the little touches of Christmas beginning to appear.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful wall! Is it yours? We were in Albuquerque last summer. Loved it!
    Love your blog, too. Thanks!
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your cottage! I, too, live in a tiny 1020's cottage and my bedroom is right next to our front door so I feel your pain. I just wanted to say How much I enjoy your posts. I really like the ones when you show your cute cottag!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!