Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Few Vintage Summer Scenes


I live only a couple of miles away from where my Grandmother lived when I was a girl. But the fifties in New Mexico were longer ago than they are for most other places in the country. By that I mean that visiting my Grandma every weekend was more like visiting the thirties. We were that far behind the times then, and in many ways still are. We pumped a handle for a drink of cool water from a communal tin cup. That was the only plumbing on the premises. Dish water drained to the flower bed outside the kitchen window. The privy was out back. Grandma cooked tortillas on top of a cast iron woodstove summer and winter. So when I pine for "vintage" it's not just a fantasy. I prefer old to new. Patina over polished. Handmade versus made in China. And never more than in summer. . .


A vintage tablescape of last summer.



Seashells in a vintage ironstone serving bowl.




Vintage knows no country.



Crisp cornered summery white linens.



Can plastic ever get a chippy finish like this vintage garden urn?



Wildflowers in company with an old cracked pitcher.




Old metal garden stands are as coveted as someone else's slice of chocolate cake!




A hand crocheted tablecloth beneath dappled sunlight.



Gleaming ironstone pitchers.



For old-fashioned girls.




I even like dreaming in vintage!
I hope you're finding a bit of summertime vintage inspiration too!

Ciao! for now!
Jacqueline


Pop on over to Debra's Common Ground for more!
Please also visit

25 comments:

  1. Have I told you lately how much I love visiting here? Seeing simple things laid out so beautifully. Reading the stories. You're a keeper on my list!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. These images are so beautiful. You inspire me if I haven't said that before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these phots,I too long for the simplicity of the olden days, and more importantly the people I shared those times with.

    Thank you for sharing!

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have my heart! I was born in the wrong time!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. It never ceases to amaze me the connection we all have.I was raised quite similar to you only in Northern Ontario Canada.instead of totillas it was yeast bread, and we had snow but the rest was the same.We still are behind the times up here but I certainly share your love for vintage,, real vintage,,I'm your newest follower,, to join many,, you are very popualr,, I;m glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you hear me echoing the statements above? As Brenda said, YOU are a keeper! ~ sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words match your beautiful images.
    Lovely post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! Every one of your photos is gorgeous eye candy! My most favorites are the tablecloth out uner the tree and the little girl in crisp white with her feet in the tin tub. They are so so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jacqueline what a lovely post. So dreamy.................... I'm completely in love with your vintage garden urn. I'm such a sucker for urns!
    Hugs,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful post and such lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post ! I love all the photos !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like dreaming in vintage too...mostly whites!
    Beautiful post today, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pictures, vignettes and table settings always inspire me, thank you for those beautiful photos, you're one of my favorite blogs!
    Have a lovely weekend!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what beautiful whites!! Your photos are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is like visiting a white wonderland. It's a beautiful vision!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another wonderful post Jacqueline. I miss my grandparents so much, and reading your post brought back such fond memories. My maternal grandparents had a vacation lake house that was very small and rustic. It only had two bedrooms, but had a wonderful screen porch that ran the whole length of the back of the house. That was where my sister and I slept when we visited in the summer. The house had an outhouse for years before my grandfather finally added a bathroom. What fun times we had there.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Denise at Forest Manor

    ReplyDelete
  17. Greetings, Jacqueline!

    Your site is truly beautiful. I love last year's tablescape. Would you know anything at all about the bust of the girl reading? I have one that appears to be made of plaster and painted a bronze colour and wondered about its possible history...

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. What precious memories you've shared. The creams and textures of your lovely tablescape speak to the rich rewards of simple pleasures. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jacqueline,
    What a beautiful post. Love the table cloth with the daises on it. Lovely white vintage in every picture. Thanks for linking this up to Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aaaahhhh, "vintage knows no country" love that, J! so glad you linked up this wonderful post.
    xoxo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  21. oooooh keep dreaming in vintage--they're lovely dreams!

    come visit anytime. found you via myromantichome.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful post. All of it is just pulled together...and no, plastic will never be anything but plastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So dreamy! I love every single bit of vintage goodness pictured here! I so agree with you, Jacqueline. I'll take vintage over new any day.

    Sorry it has taken so long to visit. But the good news is, I just joined you as a follower and am featuring you tonight. ;)

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!