Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Housekeeping


In the spring I put away some of my darker toned transferware that had been displayed on my sideboard, like my English woodland teacup (I don't know the pattern) with its mismatched Meakin saucer. I've enjoyed the changes I made all summer. But after awhile a display can become invisible. It seems that we have been trained to be decorators by nature herself.



I travel four miles to my shop each day. I take the scenic route, which is a 25 mile per hour meander through large estates in a rural area of town. Every day without fail there is something new to look at.


New blooms. A hay field has been cut, or bailed. I see a pheasant, or a roadrunner, or a flock of geese. There is a lake or a stream produced by irrigation that hadn't been there before. And soon, almost overnight the green will begin to fade from the trees.



Your garden probably provides the same daily pleasure in change for you. But the four mile meander has become my changing garden.



I gather my fall home decoration in much the same way that the season does hers. One day I wonder where a certain serving dish got to. Or on another day, a teacup moved to the side earlier in the season gets left out this time because I will want it soon enough.



One such object is this little floral jug that I haven't seen on my shelf for awhile. It will soon take up a new and different place in it's seasonal show somewhere in my home.



The ritual inside, mirrors the one taking place outside.



I admire the grand gesture of new seasonal merchandise that gets everybody enthused for buying again. I have a friend that acquires completely new decorations each season.



But my method is lazier and gentler on me and my immediate environment. Some years find little change in my decor from season to season.



I'll just keep gathering up like a squirrel or something I guess. Like this little wood carving that so charmed me when I discovered it at the thrift store.



Old and cracked but hand carved, it depicts a lad struggling to hold back the hungry animal that wants to consume his cabbage. The suspended scene reminds me to keep on tugging against whatever threatens my daily sustenance whatever it may be.



My gathered things remind me of gifts and givers, of past owners and possible future ones. Of seasons passing and arriving. Of their needed attention for dusting, polishing, washing, and repairing. Of keeping on. Of keeping house. Of keeping home.



Not too many grand gestures for me. Just another day of a little cleaning (often VERY little) and arranging things a little bit differently here and there to suit myself, the weather, or the company. I hope you're enjoying your gathering up too.


Thanks so much for stopping by for a visit! Ciao! for now!

Jacqueline

Today I'm joining The House in the Roses for Show off Your Cottage Monday,
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday
Martha's Favorites, and
Artful Affirmations for Teacup Tuesday

31 comments:

  1. Very nice comparisons. Love the transferware!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the little jug...and everything else; oak and lacy doilies. Thank you for sharing the beauty of your home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful transferware, fall is such an inspiring season-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just seen your Sunday White post and loved it, as well as this beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is my first visit to your blog - - love it. :o)

    jAne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love seeing your fallness coming into view! The little pitcher is just so pretty! The figurine is so sweet too.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. fabulous collage above the chairs... love it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely post! I sure enjoyed seeing your gorgeous brown transferware pieces :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty collection you have there for us to see! Perfect for the season. Stopping by from SOYCM.
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Thanks for visiting me for my 1st SSS! Your blog is amazing! So pretty. And I love your photography and writings, you are one talented lady! I'll be back for more!

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post. Beautiful and inspirational. I just love the cup and saucer, and your wall is amazing. Lots of talent oozing out of the photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your transferware but reading your post makes me more excited about nature.....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your post today is wonderful. You write beautifully. Your changing pieces are all stunning and your vignettes are gorgeous. What a great post. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello :) Such a lovely post; I'm one of those persons who does not change my decor for the seasons. I tend to keep everything just the same as you see it in my posts. I guess it's because I'm more of a Spring/Summer person, and like to keep things in the house that have that feel :) More so especially for the Fall and Winter, to help remind me of the warmer days :)

    Wishing you a Happy Tea Tuesday!!

    Warmest hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a deep and thoughtful post. The concept of subtle changes in our homelife that reflect the change of seasons, I do that also. One day a flower arrangement, another a dish or plate or print. Your short trek to work sounds so inspiring! I'd love to come and nose around in your wonderful house for awhile, it's so homey, and so YOU!
    hugs and love,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post. Nature is such a wonderful thing. We just have to LOOK! Beautiful transferware. Really love the cup and saucer. Happy Tea Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post and sweet figurine! Thank you for your visit to my blog. I've enjoyed your post very much. Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your photos are beautiful. I love your fall colors and your tea cup and saucer are very fall, and very pretty.
    Thank you so much for sharing with us today.
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post today! I love the brown transferware you featured and the tea cup is lovely with its beautiful pheasants..

    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. I just loved all that pretty, soft brown transferware!

    Tootles,

    Sandy @ My Shabby Streamside Studio
    http://myshabbystreamsidestudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi: I just love your transferware! Your blog is always beautiful. Thank you so much for always making my visit so delightful. Have a wonderful week. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jaqueline, you have a lovely blog and I really enjoyed following your scenic route to town. A wonderful post. Love the cute wood carving. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. marvelous. I love these shots.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a beautiful post. Love your setting and all your collectibles and reading your words puts me in such of a contented relaxful mood. I know what you mean about your ride to work. I do the same thing. Aren't we blessed to have the change of the seasons?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your blog is just so utterly delightful to visit! I love the floral jug, and everything you do. You should be writing a book on homekeeping/decorating. You're that good. (I was a professional writing major if that makes any difference in what constitutes my opinion!)
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  26. I luv the vintage turkey transferware tea cup. And I do like the vintage birdcage on your side photos. Thank You for stopping by....Julian

    ReplyDelete
  27. love your collection dear Jacqui. truly wonderful collection! especially on your china! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'd like to come for a visit and drink in all of the loveliness. Ahh.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the little floral jug what a perfect touch for a fall vignette.I change my accessories seasonally also. It is a fun easy change out. Just starting to get in the mood for fall. Kathysue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!