Pages

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Vintage Cutwork Embroidery and Transferware China


I am a summer lover, and so this time of year is a little bittersweet for me. I was born in August in desert country. That might explain why I love light, sun, and don't mind a little heat! But I have come to realize that a lot of what I love in the way of collections lends itself more to autumn. Brown transferware is a case in point. 




Although I like to keep things light in all weather, fall lets me bring in more detail, dark colors, and the texture that I love during the cozy seasons.




Instead of the daisies that I wanted in the market for my arrangements, they had big wonderful bunches of baby's breath, and I had nearly forgotten how much in love with it I am! I am also partial to dried bunches of weeds (which I almost never seem to know the variety of). The plate designs with the flora give that Brambley Hedge feeling I'm so fond of. All warm and woodsy and wonderful at this hour of the occasion.




But my aim is really to show a couple of marvelous examples of embroidery that are new to me this week. I found this cutwork runner in one of my "unlikely" markets. Sometimes vendors in these places have a much lesser appreciation for what I am looking for than I do, with a price to match. What a cheery day when THAT happens!




I don't own nearly enough of this type of hand work, and hoard the few pieces that come my way. I think the workmanship is best shown on a darker surface like this to show off the details.





I always seem to see my collections in a new light when they are put away for awhile. Some things lose their charm, while others become more endearing to me. I just may be buried with this platter clutched to my chest! Haha!




But pitchers and platters will always be present somewhere in my personal landscape.




For me, these are the quiet colors of late summer and early fall.










This second embroidery sample, found in the same place, appears to have been worked by the same hands. The patterns and stitches are similar, with only the design being different.





The linen is unbleached, and the piece is smaller with less cutwork. But it has the tan threads which I enjoy and have so much of in the embroidered tablecloths that I tend to collect. It is a nice addition for me.









Of course I love hunting and gathering all year, but it's lovely to have things come together in a new way when the seasons change. There is still so much ahead that seems to rush in too early for me. I want to savor September as the last few sweet drops dwindle away into another autumn.  











I hope you are able to savor these last few days of a waning summertime too.

Jacqueline











20 comments:

  1. These are lovely linens,Jacqueline, and are perfect for this time of year into the holiday season. I am with you 100% about the dwindling days of Summer. . .as nice as Autumn is, I really don't want to let go of the long days. Waking early to the rising sun and returning home from work with still a few hours to enjoy outdoors, is something I will really, really miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The baby's breath is perfect, especially with that wonderful cutwork and ironstone. I, too, don't want to let go of our summer days, warm temperatures, long hours of sunlight. It's always such a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a breath of fresh air to stop and visit one of your posts, Jacqueline. This is just what I needed this evening. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swooning as always. Soooooo pretty. Love the baby's breath with your ironstone and cutwork linen.
    Have a great rest of the week and wonderful weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. That platter is absolutely gorgeous! As usual, I love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my...your posts always make me catch my breath a little...pure loveliness. I am liking more neutral tones right now...until Halloween...then I'll get my color on for the grandkids! Then I'm going right back to neutrals...ahhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With each of your posts I become more convinced that we are sisters of the soul. Except, I've grown too lazy to keep up your pace, so I'll just cherish each and every one of your posts. (Hi to Kris of Junk Chic Cottage. My other most favorite blogger!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those linens. Beautiful handwork. Your blog is an inspiration. I found a lovely hand embroidered table cloth at a thrift shop today. Such precious time and dedication went into these beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful transferware!!! The cutwork cloth looks like it could be used for Christmas too. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't grab these type of pieces fast enough. It always amazes me when so much work goes for so little these days. You are a gentle reminder to use my linen stashes more often. Lovely post, thank you! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jacqueline, you always find the most beautiful treasures. The patterns on the china are simply enchanting and what a point that cutwork will make at Christmas..Happy Weekend..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely beautiful photos, Jacqueline. I believe that type of embroidery is called 'cutwork'..at least that is what my grandmother always called it. She did quite a bit of it by hand--

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jacqueline. I haven't blogged for a while but have finally got back to it after a hectic year decorating the house from front to back. I missed seeing your lovely pieces. As always lovely to look at.
    Jeanette ann

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whenever I want to be calm I come over and visit with you on your blog and look at all your pretty whites and linens. Thank you for giving us such a beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the linens. I am always so drawn to brown transferware. I have a few pieces, but only a few. I'd love to get more.

    Like you, I am a summer lover and I'm not ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your delicate touch in decorating for a new season, Jacqueline. It's all so perfect. The cut-work embroidery is stunning and I can see why you love the platter so. I just bought some baby's breath, too! There's something just right about it this time of year. It's always so sad to say goodbye to those long, summer days. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  17. That a such beautiful pieces ♥ Will miss the summer days too... Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your brown transferware is so beautiful, Jacqueline. I know what you mean about bringing out pieces that have been stored away for awhile. They look so fresh and even more lovely than remembered. And, of course, your wonderful collection of linens is always so pretty no matter what the season.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete

  19. After seeing your beautiful cut work I had to go digging through drawers and finding my Grandmothers pieces
    They are so pretty and you always display things so pretty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!