Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Mellow Season


I'm still loving Summer. And what's NOT to love? The early mornings here on the east patio are cool and peaceful. Our monsoons have kicked in, and all in all it's been a mild past few weeks. But I'm looking for a change at this mid-point and the new month, so I have dug into my linen piles for a cheery vintage spread to throw over my settee.




The morning side of the house is always a good place for gathering thoughts before the day begins. Maybe jot a note or two. Send off a Thank You.



My books and magazines aren't any further than my piles of linens! So the beginning of the day is as mellow as it's going to be for as far ahead in the day as I can foresee.




Our visiting young people have gone off after a couple of enjoyable weeks, and we will ride out another bend in the rhythm of first missing loved ones, and then being glad to be ourselves again.



The small changes ease the transition, and set a new scene on my covered porch. It's the only place I can keep my vintage Heywood Wakefield wicker outdoors!



"The Water Rat was restless, and he did not exactly know why. To all appearance the summer's pomp was still at fullest height, and although in the tilled acres green had given way to gold, though rowans were reddening, and the woods were dashed here and there with a tawny fierceness, yet light and warmth and color were still present in undiminished measure, clean of any chilly premonitions of the passing year. But the constant chorus of the orchards and hedges had shrunk to a casual evensong . . . and there was a feeling in the air of change and departure."

Wayfarers All, Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Graham.

Hope you enjoy the August season!
Thanks for stopping by! Ciao! for now!

Jacqueline


Linked to Mellow Yellow Monday
and The Coloradolady for Vintage Thingie Thursday

24 comments:

  1. G'eve ~ What a lovely serene setting where to enjoy the day.

    Don't miss our giveaway ~
    Have a beautiful summer's eve ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. (Except for that book with the spiders and insects, ewwww)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jacqueline, What a happy corner to wake up in :-) Glad to hear you are enjoying your summer, sorry about the little ones though.
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful summer post! I am too enjoying the summer so much. I woke up this morning, looked out the window at my little garden and told myself "Another summer day to enjoy!" I only wish I had such beautiful corners and places at my home to enjoy the summer as the ones you have. I adore all the relaxing settings you create.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures, always a pleasure to visit your blog.
    Kisses from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jacqueline, can you send just a tad bit of that cooler air my way :) Hope you have an awesome week, T

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks very relaxing and serene. I know what you mean about young visitors leaving - the sadness followed by a kind of relief as we slip back into familiar routines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love viewing your photos and am never disappointed. I love the linens in these pics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely retreat.. to spend the mornings. The painting, the rose's in the vase, is beautiful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do believe you have found the right combination to enjoy a time out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful place to relax. Thanks for sharing, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your wicker is quite lovely... And your reading material looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty setting~ I love the soft floral cover!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all your wicker pieces! I love "The Wind In The Willows". My Dad read that to me when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely setting...what a beautiful embroidered pillowcase.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your round wicker table is very charming!

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely place to spend time. I love your pretty wicker...I have a few pieces of the vintage wicker that I really enjoy, too.
    Have a wonderful day..
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post! What an idyllic and peaceful scene you've created. So very charming. And I adore The Wind In The Willows.

    Happy VTT!
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  19. very pretty.....perfect summer-y post! Have a great VTT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful post. I love your wicker pieces.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post, what a lovely spot you've made. Nice post about summer, although I have to admit that I'm really over it here! Looking forward to dryer cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!