Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Weekend Entertaining ~ The Impromptu Life


Some of the best times I've ever had in my life have been unplanned affairs. Spontaneous get-togethers that seemed to just fall into place. It seems true that when one is young, one is in constant readiness for a good time. Saying YES seems much less complicated.



A dictionary will tell you that impromptu means "not prepared in advance" or something "suddenly or hastily prepared".  But impromptu is actually a French word that comes from the Latin in and promptus which literally means "in readiness". 



For many years now I have enjoyed declaring that you have to be prepared to be spontaneous.  The idea at first seems a contradiction. And I don't mean merely having a willing spirit. I mean that one can order one's life in a way that allows for a departure from the norm, and always having a few things in actual readiness. Sort of like the overnight bag waiting for the going into labor, but much more fun!


 A few simple and savory things on hand really gets you all the way there. But for that extra je ne sais quoi, knowing where to get a crusty loaf or a special dessert at a moment's notice is a useful bit of information. A candle, and a plain linen cloth makes a simple occasion memorable. Voila!

















Ready for fun Summer nights? Always!
Ciao! for now!

Jacqueline

18 comments:

  1. So true! What a delightful setting and the graphic on the French baguette is absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things are better spontaneous! Like bread wine and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, some things are always better spontaneous like wine, bread and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good lesson (and thanks for the etymology... who knew?) and so true. My husband and I are big believers in hospitality and we make sure we *always* have enough food in the house for unexpected-but-very-welcome guests.

    Likewise, I *always* carry some form of entertainment (a book or a notebook) in my purse lest I get stuck on public transport. Almost happened too - the Tube got stuck in the dark. It was like the opening scene of a cheap horror flick. All ended well, though :)

    Blessings,
    This Good Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that unplanned and spontaneous events are always the best....less stress and more fun.

    Thanks for the lovely post.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Prepared to be spontaneous"...I agree! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wine, cheese and a baguette...that will work for a get together! love the silver tray with the roses!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This works of me, Wine, Cheese, and french bread. Who could as for anything more....

    Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree! Yesterday I set aside all the work needing to be done, and called the family to come down. Fortunately they could, and we had a great time. Also want to say your Thursday retro post with the adorable map tray, cherry linens, and wicker basket and ice bucket was soooo cute! I was just catching up. love, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  10. The setting is beautiful. Love the Paris napkins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightful and thought provoking post! You are right, being prepared to be spontaneous is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the french definition of impromptu! it is a goal of mine
    to always have on hand something for last minute get
    togethers, but you have prompted me to take it to the next
    level.

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you here....I love this post Great photos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Agreed! This is our favorite way of entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post and I love the dinner! Bread cheese and fruit washed down with a glass of wine, what could be better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice setting of the table..
    unplanned affairs turns out a lovely
    memory.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi J,
    I love spontaneous, way better than planned, and planned spontaneous is clever! Yummy!!
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!