Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

HEDGE ROSE

I suppose it's true that I have a thing for cream Wedgwood china. This is an older more subtle pattern named HEDGE ROSE. I'm amused by that name because it's the same as 'hedgerows' which features big in Brambly Hedge books! The nature tie-in seems like a foregone conclusion, but of course white works with any theme. The bird invitation cards are my own design. And I know I overuse my quail eggs as decorative accents, but I LOVE THEM SO MUCH!!
When I don't have fresh flowers on hand I prefer to use dried over artificial ones. I enjoy the organic look of them.
My table is laid with a vintage ivory tablecloth with crochet rose insets as well. Since the Hedge Rose design is only embossed on a narrow rim of the china, it reinforces the subject of roses nicely, as does the choice of roses as a centerpiece.

Vintage cut-work dinner napkins provide more pattern to the setting and prevent it from becoming too formal as all-white themes can tend to. The contrasting tone of the embroidery threads also livens the mix and punctuates the accessory colors.

For all the movement in the close-up visual detail, this table arrangement retreats to the margins in order to showcase whatever might be chosen for the menu. It's very common for plain white to be chosen for French tables, for instance, where so much closer attention is paid to both food preparation and presentation.

I am always in awe of the artistry of hand crocheted lace!

Here we see a closer detail of this delightfully understated china pattern.

All other table items are vintage. The cake stand elevating the plates is a candlewick design on a sterling pedestal. Pottery Barn has a wide and wonderful range of standard long-lasting ivory candles at reasonable prices.

Somebody's grandmother's hand-work close up.

These napkins are as yummy as anything served on the table!

Bon Appetit!



Please join Between Naps on the Porch for more Tablescape Thursday!

Ciao! Thanks so much for stopping by!
Jacqueline



16 comments:

  1. What a lovely table...I like an all white table, it is so serene. Your linens are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jacqueline, Such a classic table setting, love those cutwork napkins.. and the lace... so lovely!
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful. I don't own one set of 'white' or cream dishes. I think because I can't make up my mind and there are so many choices. These are on the top of my list. Just incredible. I adore cutwork and hand crochet. Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong century!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely tablecloth and napkins! Love the candlewick cake stand too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty china, love the ironstone pitchers too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your whites and creams are so elegant and soothing -- beautiful tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, looking at the napkins causes a flashback. I think my mother had some like or at least very similar. Wonder what happened to them? Maybe they ended up with you on this lovely table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very lovely.... I love all your whites dishes.... nice meeting you!

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh...so pretty...luv those vintage linens!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty! Love the white dishes and the edging on them is wonderful!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your whites!! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful blog you have! Enjoyed my visit!

    Hugs,
    Maryjane

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your tablecloth and napkins are really stunning! SO gorgeous! I like the all white look -- so serene.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Way to pretty to hide away...so gald you shared with us.

    There is nothing better then china whites :)

    I will be back to take in the beauty of your site.
    xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everything is so pretty. I love the tablecloth and napkins; they are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! You may also comment at jqbaros@gmail.com. Thank you!